Pepper differences?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only thing I would add is I know a few people who react badly to red peppers. Generally I mix red, yellow and orange peppers as the colours are so wonderful and IMO the rainbow looks more appetising than a single colour! :)

THe greens are traditional for Pepper Steak and stuffed peppers, and part of the cajun trinity; the red for roasted peppers, pimento, etc. Whatever state of ripeness, whatever color you go for, bell peppers are full of vit C and other good things for you.

boufa06 said:
I once bought some purple capsicums from the green grocer. During cooking the colour disappeared!

I once bought the purple ones as well. I was not very pleased. I dont remember what the taste was .....I just remember that i didnt like it. I've never seen them again.

Red and green ones are a staple in my house. Alot of times i'll mix the two into a dish. A multiracial trinity of peppers, onions, and garlic if you will. :LOL:

jennyema said:
I do too. I find the yellow ones to have very little taste at all.

That's the best news I've heard all day. :)

It's been a slow day. :(

:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

I'll try those for my dish. Crystal (my GF/wife), isn't fond of peppers, but I wanna make something with them. Normally I wouldn't eat them as is. I can really only take them if there are in a cheese dip or something else. I want to start eating better things, so I figure I'd start here.

I also like the red best, although like Michael said, I use all three for color contrast when having a dish look pretty is primary. I seldom buy green any more; I like them. My husband doesn't, and they "repeat" more (hey, I like them in food, but not when I burp a day or two later!). One thing that I really do dislike, and there are few things I dislike in the food world, is the dehydrated green peppers they put in a lot of dried spice/soup mixes.

I'm all for peppers, as long as they are in some sort of spicey something or other. Gotta have it kicked up a notch!

My plan is to us it to serve the food in, as well as being part of the meal. Double duty for the bell pepper.

Crystal really doesn't like peppers, but I am trying to get her to like certian things. She likes all her food bland cause that was all she could eat after coming out of the hospital from the second time she had cancer. Anything with any extra flavor would come back up, so she got used to bland food. I'm trying to work her into foods with flavor, but slowly so she doesn't see it coming. I've knocked out my use of salt almost completely. Now I use sea salt instead of iodized cause I would hear daily about how bad it is for you and heart probs run in my family.

The one thing I will never be able to do and have her eat it as well, is anything that's got that sort of, down south, hot-spicey taste to it. I like things with hot sauce mixed in and foods that bite back. She can't stand the smell of food like that. :-(

Boufa, I've found that almost all purple foods lose color in cooking. Some red cabbages will actually turn an odd blue color. One year I decided to try natural Easter egg coloring. You get some very subtle colors and the red cabbage actually turned the eggs blue, not purple. So if you're going for color, in my experience, those type veggies are best used raw for the most impact.

Claire said:
Boufa, I've found that almost all purple foods lose color in cooking. Some red cabbages will actually turn an odd blue color. One year I decided to try natural Easter egg coloring. You get some very subtle colors and the red cabbage actually turned the eggs blue, not purple. So if you're going for color, in my experience, those type veggies are best used raw for the most impact.
Claire, I have to agree with you on this. Actually I bought the purple capsicums out of curiosity, just to try them. I was disappointed as they were not as sweet as the red ones and have since disappeared from the marketplace. I seldom use red cabbage and when I do, I add a little more for its colour, to my cabbage, carrot, and dill salad.

Back
Top Bottom