Pepper differences?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clutch

Washing Up
I need to know the difference between green, red, orange and yellow peppers. I just got a good dinner idea, but I need to know what if any taste difference the different colored peppers have.

red orange and yellow peppers are just sweeter versions of green peppers (bell peppers that is).

Clutch said:
I need to know the difference between green, red, orange and yellow peppers. I just got a good dinner idea, but I need to know what if any taste difference the different colored peppers have.
Clutch, I'm assuming you're speaking about bell peppers? If so I find the red,yellow,orange ones juicy and sweetish. Not sugar sweet just a nice feel in the mouth. My family love them cooked and raw.The green ones I find have a more raw taste and are harder to digest, so for us, they are seldom used.

kadesma:)

Ditto what GB said, Clutch. I keep all on hand to add color variety to my dishes. Sometimes if a recipe calls for green bell peppers, I'll substitute a combination of all colors if the rest of the dish seems to lack color.

Same as above. Red (especially) and Yellow have a good 'sweet' taste. I find that Green bell peppers have virtually no taste at all; commercial ones anyway. They are lots cheaper though, so I use Green in say, chili, where other ingredients dominate taste and the pepper is more 'filler'; and Red/Yellow in, for example, salads, where I really get the taste benefit.

The green bell pepper is just the unripe version of the red. If you let a green pepper stay on the vine longer then it becomes a red pepper.

^ I see said the blind man.

Sounds like I'm gonna use the red one for my dish!

Maybe that's why I never liked it when my mom made stuffed peppers when I was a kid! LOL!!!

I agree with everything that has been said here, but another alternative is to substitute poblano peppers for green peppers. It's still green but adds a lot more flavor. Raw or in a quick sauté you can just chop as you would a bell pepper but if its going to simmer I prefer to roast and peel first because it intensifies the flavor and the skin is tougher and tends to separate when cooked.

I can't tell you how pleased I am that red, yellow, & orange bell peppers are so readily available these days at both the supermarket & for growing in the garden.

Green bell peppers repeat on me something awful. While I love the taste, the hours of burping afterwards I could easily live without - something that doesn't happen with the ripe colored versions.

GB was right on, green bell peppers are just the unripe version of the others.

The color of the others just reflects the variety, or cultivar, of the plant it was grown on.

They are less expensive, I suppose, because letting the green pepper ripen prevents another one from being started.

I'm a pepper, he's a pepper, she's a pepper, we're a pepper. Wouldn't you like to be a pepper too?

auntdot said:
GB was right on, green bell peppers are just the unripe version of the others.

The color of the others just reflects the variety, or cultivar, of the plant it was grown on.

They are less expensive, I suppose, because letting the green pepper ripen prevents another one from being started.

While all green bell peppers will ripen to red, the new cultivars that we are seeing in the stores now-a-days are especially bred to turn more quickly.

The reason the peppers are so expensive is that the price of the seed for these new hybrids is sky-high. Also, the hybrids don't germinate as easily, another factor in the price. When I had the greenhouses, I sold green bell peppers in 4 paks and the red bells in individual pots for the same price.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here...the red and deep orange peppers have like twice the vitamin C of an orange.

Well - apart from the fact that the colored peppers make many dishes - obviously - more colorful, they don't make me BURP. LOL!!!

As far as price - if you have a garden, or even a place for potted plants, you can EASILY grow your own colored peppers. I grow a variety every year & end up with enough to use fresh, as well as freeze for use during the winter.

BreezyCooking said:
Well - apart from the fact that the colored peppers make many dishes - obviously - more colorful, they don't make me BURP. LOL!!!

As far as price - if you have a garden, or even a place for potted plants, you can EASILY grow your own colored peppers. I grow a variety every year & end up with enough to use fresh, as well as freeze for use during the winter.

That's what I have been thinking, but it's gonna have to wait till I have a place of my own. I don't trust the animals in my house, nor the animals in her house. My cats and dog would end up knocking it over and killing it and her brothers would throw something after losing a football game on the PS3 and break our plants.

I saw this thing somewhere, I don't remember if it was L'NT or where it was, but it was a thing about 18-20" by 10-12" that you can use to grow herbs. Supposedly you could grow them 3 times faster than in a normal garden and do it from inside your house. Anyone know what I'm talking about or was it just a really wacked out dream I had??? :LOL:

Constance said:
No, you're right. I've seen those too. I think some people use them to grow "other" herbs.

Maybe start them. They get too big to grow in that thing. Not that I know how big they get. :angel:

I gotta ask my wife, but I think it was at linens and things.

The different colors are nice for the color contrasts they can bring to a dish - but they also do have some subtle flavor differences ... really more a matter of pungency than sweetness IMHO - unless sweetness is ment to be the guage for the absence of pungency.

Fortunately - these are easy to keep straight if you think of the order of the colors in a traffic light ... red, yellow, green. Starting at the top - red is the least pungent, yellow and orange fall in the middle, and green is the most pungent.

Michael in FtW said:
Fortunately - these are easy to keep straight if you think of the order of the colors in a traffic light ... red, yellow, green. Starting at the top - red is the least pungent, yellow and orange fall in the middle, and green is the most pungent.

Good! I was planning on using a red one! :chef:

Back
Top Bottom