"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Cook
 
jawnn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 56
Question Pepper Oil extraction?


How can I extract pepper oil?
I want to mix it into toasted sesame oil, mostly so I will not eat too much oil. I need sesame oil for soups and other excellent flavoring, but it is addicting.
Eden Foods has some very expensive Toasted Sesame Oil but I really want to make it myself.

__________________

__________________
jawnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
Cook
 
jawnn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 56
Exclamation too hot!

I got 18 Habanero peppers and some started to rot right away so I ended up with only about 14. I recommend only about 8 to 10 peppers for the 16oz of oil.

I sliced them and coved them with toasted sesame oil and cooked them on low heat for a long while to get all the moisture out, foaming and steaming.
The oil is almost too hot, have to make sure not to use more than I teaspoon for a quart of soup. I may have to mix in more oil to get more of the flavor of the toasted sesame.
__________________

__________________
jawnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnn View Post
I got 18 Habanero peppers and some started to rot right away so I ended up with only about 14. I recommend only about 8 to 10 peppers for the 16oz of oil.

I sliced them and coved them with toasted sesame oil and cooked them on low heat for a long while to get all the moisture out, foaming and steaming.
The oil is almost too hot, have to make sure not to use more than I teaspoon for a quart of soup. I may have to mix in more oil to get more of the flavor of the toasted sesame.

Beware that there is a botulism risk with what you did. Keep the oil in the fridge and use it or throw it away within 10 days or so.

Its easier to just buy hot sesame oil.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Beware that there is a botulism risk with what you did. Keep the oil in the fridge and use it or throw it away within 10 days or so.

Its easier to just buy hot sesame oil.
Yes, it's also a good idea to acidify the infusion with 1 Tbs of lemon juice or vinegar per cup of oil. Keep in the fridge and toss out if it becomes cloudy or nasty during its shelf life, according to this useful site: Oil Infusions and the Risk of Botulism. It should scare you into compliance with its list of multiple infections from infusions of garlic in oil.
But there is an obvious possibility of the oil and acid separating, and I found a 5.5 oz bottle of hot sesame oil on Amazon for $10. If you are only using 1 tsp of the oil per quart of soup, a quart (if my math is right, and it isn't always!) should only cost 31c
Cheers.
__________________
PhilinYuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
Cook
 
jawnn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 56
I am not worried about that, I ususaly cook the oil into what ever I am using in. I also live in the cold, never seem to get my house warm for long in the winter



Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Beware that there is a botulism risk with what you did. Keep the oil in the fridge and use it or throw it away within 10 days or so.

Its easier to just buy hot sesame oil.
__________________
jawnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnn View Post
I am not worried about that, I ususaly cook the oil into what ever I am using in. I also live in the cold, never seem to get my house warm for long in the winter
Botulism can be killed by heat, BUT the TOXINS it releases will kill you and they are NOT killed by heat. And they are not affected by cold. You are playing with a dangerous poison.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
oil, pepper

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.