Pepper/Salt Mill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncage1974

Senior Cook
Hello Everyone. Quick question for you all. I am looking to purchase a Salt / Pepper mill.

I currently have a pepper magnum. While its a fine pepper grinder it does have few flaws. The first being its ugly at sin. I don't mind if most cases but when we are entertaining it would be nice to have a nice looking pepper grinder. It also doesn't grind as fine as i would like. Its also a little tricky to refill. Set adjustments would also be a nice touch rather than twisting a little tighter/looser by trial & error to get the grind you want

I don't have a salt grinder. I use kosher salt in a generic spice bottle i used that look really bad. A nice matching set would be nice

I'm looking at purchasing maybe a Peugeot Chateauneuf set in wild cherry.

So where are my questions:

1. I don't recall seeing grinder salt (to be honest i'm not sure the exact salt to buy). Is it easy to find or is it something you will most likely have to special order off the internet?

2. Can you give me an idea of what type of salt will work?

thanks...

Most I see are labeled "for grinders" or something similar, like
"extra course." If local sources fail, Amazon has them in white grey, pink/red, and dirty sea salt color.

I found some very coarse sea salt in a kitchen shop, and would use it in a grinder. When I ran out of the coarse salt, I refilled the salt grinder with finer salt. And found it all went through the grinder and onto my counter :LOL:

Salt doesn't need to be ground to be "fresh", now I just use it from the container it came in. I have a collection of little antique salt dishes, I can use those if we entertain.

In Denmark you often see individual salt cellars for coarse salt.

0d57-0381-4a8f-b3e9-51da1245d0ba.jpg

I bought a set of individual salt cellars a few years back. They're very colorful and a nice conversation piece at dinner parties.

This is the set that I have.

Mini_Ceramic_Salt_Cellars.jpg

I bought a set of individual salt cellars a few years back. They're very colorful and a nice conversation piece at dinner parties.

This is the set that I have.

Mini_Ceramic_Salt_Cellars.jpg
Those are very cute. But, aren't they hard to get your fingers into? Some Danes believe that salt tastes better if you use your fingers. :rolleyes:

Ya after doing research today i learned a lot. 1st make sure your salt is suitable for a salt grinder before you use it. Even some salts will corrode Stainless Steel. Make sure whatever salt your using is a dry salt and not a wet salt.

My ex used little glass salt dishes with tiny spoons when we had guest for dinner. For a klutz like me, that meant little piles of salt on my food with large unsalted spaces in between. I don't miss that at all.

Andy, if you are ever in Denmark and are invited to a supper where there are salt sellers at each table setting, it is perfectly good etiquette to use your fingers for pinches of salt.

lol, andy. me and you both. thank god for some reason in denmark.

i've been looking for a good, small peppermill with a ceramic grinder. all of the grinders i've owned had metal (even ss) grinders that rusted.

can anyone recommend a decent ceramic grind peppermill?

lol, andy. me and you both. thank god for some reason in denmark.

i've been looking for a good, small peppermill with a ceramic grinder. all of the grinders i've owned had metal (even ss) grinders that rusted.

can anyone recommend a decent ceramic grind peppermill?

bt, according to the specifications of the link I posted a bit back, the OXO one has ceramic gears. And it is reasonably priced. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom