Pepper Sauce Recipe Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kylie1969

Chef Extraordinaire
Hey guys!

I am after a really nice Pepper Sauce recipe to have over our Porterhouse steaks tomorrow night

Any recipes would be most appreciated, thanks everyone :)

Do you mean chili peppers or black pepper. I can give you a recipe for steak au poivre, which uses black pepper. It's really good.

Hi Taxy :)

Yes, it is a black pepper sauce I am after.

I must remember I am on an American site as here in Australia we dont call them Pepper's, we call them Capsicums
thumb.gif

I would love to have your recipe for steak au poivre, thanks so much :)

Well... how exotic do you want to get with this sauce?
You could use the gel filtration-freezer method to produce a black pepper consomme, then use the consomme as a base for your sauce.

My first inclination would be some kind of cream-based sauce. I'd take a bunch of whole black and white peppercorns and toast them in a pan over medium-high, let them cool, and very coarsely grind them with a rolling pin or something similar. Maybe the back of a pan. Then I'd add them back into a pan with some butter, shallot, fresh rosemary and cook for a minute or two. Then I'd deglaze with white wine or vermouth and beef broth and reduce to syrup consistency. Then I'd add heavy cream and a tiny dash of fresh ground nutmeg, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cook at a simmer until the cream is reduced and coats a spoon. After that I'd pour in all the jus that's collected from the steaks, and let it cook a few seconds longer. Then I'd strain out all the solids, whisk in a tablespoon or two of cold butter off the heat, check seasoning, and then put on top of steak. Better if you cook the sauce a la minute. That's what I would personally do, not having a "pepper sauce" recipe handy.

Last edited:
I make my au poivre sauce using the a la minute style. I start out with chicken breast fillets or fillet mignon, and some pepper corns which I whack with a cleaver or skillet to break them up, then combine semi-crushed pepper corns with chicken or meat and cover with plastic wrap over and under. Then with a mallet I whack the chicken/meat to embed the pepper corns into the meat. The meat/chicken should be about 1/4" or at most 1/2" thick...

Then quickly, I saute the chicken or meat in butter, reserve the chicken/meat in a warm oven, and deglaze the pan with some wine, perhaps Madeira or Marsala or a dry Sherry, and possibly some herbs (e.g. tarragon or rosemary), and then whisk in some cream to thicken and enrich the sauce, and finally correct seasoning with S+P, then serve this a la minute sauce over the chicken breasts or filet mignons.

So I hope you don't mind the informal style of my recipe, with no measurements.

Back
Top Bottom