"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up problem solved but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen
I'm still working on "slicing the tomatoes and putting them into a pot of boiling water" to make sauce. Hmmm.
So, um, I am really an amateur compared to all of you, in all this cooking stuff but I do have pretty good instincts. I did strain off half of the liquid (which I saved) and I added 2T sugar and 1/8 ts baking soda. It foamed up rather impressively and then I tasted it. It was alot better! So I used a little corn starch paste to thicken it, cooked a little while longer and served it over vermicelli alongside some marinated steak filets. Everyone in my family liked it even my nonspicey eater husband. I loved getting all these ideas from all you experts though. I'll be reading more of your postings. Thanks to all.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofseven
So, um, I am really an amateur compared to all of you, in all this cooking stuff but I do have pretty good instincts. I did strain off half of the liquid (which I saved) and I added 2T sugar and 1/8 ts baking soda. It foamed up rather impressively and then I tasted it. It was alot better! So I used a little corn starch paste to thicken it, cooked a little while longer and served it over vermicelli alongside some marinated steak filets. Everyone in my family liked it even my nonspicey eater husband. I loved getting all these ideas from all you experts though. I'll be reading more of your postings. Thanks to all.
There are probably more tomato sauce recipes/ideas/suggetions posted on DC than any other item. Find loads of them here.

Tomato sauce begins with tomatoes in a pot with aromatics and perhaps some red wine. It slowly cooks down at a simmer to a sauce-like consistency on it's own by reduction and needs no thickener like corn starch. And no baking soda. Boiling tomatoes in water will boil the taste and the nutrients right out of them.

A lot of people simmer the tomatoes with meat to make it richer, and/or add mushrooms and other vegetables.

Take a look at some of the recipes members have posted. Most are very simple and quite delicious.