Pequin powder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
What is this? I found a chili recipe which calls for it, but I've never heard of it before.

Chave....

Pequin powder made from the Pequin Pepper is dangerously hot. It is rated at 140,000 Scoville units!! Cayenne is rated at 40,000 units by comparison. Use caution!! it's HOT!!!

lol, did anyone else read this as penguin powder? :huh:

boy, i need to go home. i felt bad for the little well dressed guys for a minute there.

It's a type of chili powder, chave. Look here for a site that sells it.

Hmm...so do you think it's worth it looking in a grocery store? Or is this more of a "specialty" item that is only sold on websites and certain food stores?

Can't really order it now...chili cook-off is on Friday, so time is ticking for me!

You can sub cayenne pepper for it as Uncle Bob suggested. Adjust the heat level you want by adding more or less powder.

Hmm...so do you think it's worth it looking in a grocery store? Or is this more of a "specialty" item that is only sold on websites and certain food stores?

Can't really order it now...chili cook-off is on Friday, so time is ticking for me!

If you really, really, really, really want to use it, sure, look in your area markets. You might also check in any Hispanic markets near you for it. Although, if it's as hot as Uncle Bob says, you might want to rethink using it. You want to win the cook off, not burn the judges to death.:LOL:

I have some of this potent chili powder take my advice it is ****able hot hot
it will take the feathers off of a full grown chicken and it will ask no questions

boy, i need to go home. i felt bad for the little well dressed guys for a minute there.

I've been reading this ever since it was posted and up until I read your post that's STILL how I was reading it!!!!! I finally decided to check it out! :LOL: :blush:

yes i did too LOLLL, but the airconditioning is not working in the office and its really really hot right now (yes we're in winter but it feels like a REALLy hot summer day) and i'm about to pass out - what's ur excuse hehehe :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ok, since everyone else has confessed......I read it as Penguin Powder too. In fact, I even Goggled it trying to figure out what it was and was getting nowhere (except for a few ornamental jars that hold perfumed powder) until I looked really closely at Katie’s link and noticed the real spelling. :wacko:

But I did learn about “Penguin Gourds” that were often used to hold gun powder in the olden days and thus were sometimes called “Penguin Powder Gourds”.

Last edited:
Penzey's carries them in whole pepper form. I have a bag at home. They are quite hot but not frightening.

Just sub cayenne powder if you can't get to Penzey's.

I was briefly horrified. All those Happy Feet, apparently harvested for their spices...now we know how they keep warm, at least.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom