"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 318
Pests/insects in my pasta!

I was making a bag of pasta today and to my horror I saw lots of small black things floating in the pot. I had bought these bags of (whole wheat) pasta six months ago, I think. How is this possible??

__________________

__________________
Argamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Beautiful Brooklyn NY
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argamemnon View Post
I was making a bag of pasta today and to my horror I saw lots of small black things floating in the pot. I had bought these bags of (whole wheat) pasta six months ago, I think. How is this possible??
Tell us the brand of Pasta so we can avoid this company.
There may have been insect eggs in the pasta which hatched
during the 6 months.
Insects are a good source of protein though
__________________

__________________
mike in brooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
cara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hannover, Germany
Posts: 5,763
that sometimes happens..... seems to be some problem in the factory.. I'd try to complain about that, don't know if it still works after six months..
what do the other bags look like?
__________________
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 321
why would you complain about that? they are excellent when sauteed in a little butter and garlic

btw, are you sure they are bugs?? when you said "black things", it seemed like you weren't quite sure
__________________
TheNoodleIncident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in brooklyn View Post
Tell us the brand of Pasta so we can avoid this company.
There may have been insect eggs in the pasta which hatched
during the 6 months.
Insects are a good source of protein though
They are organic pasta bought here in the Netherlands, made in Italy, I think; "La Bio Idea" from Sicily...

I have some 10 more bags I think, I need to check them as well!!
__________________
Argamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
why would you complain about that? they are excellent when sauteed in a little butter and garlic

btw, are you sure they are bugs?? when you said "black things", it seemed like you weren't quite sure
I'm sure they are bugs, but I don't know their name
__________________
Argamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,281
This isn't uncommon at all
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Whenever you buy grain or grain products, you should put it in the freezer for a couple days (or store it there if you have the room--that is what I do). That will kill off any wee beasties that naturally come with grains. Since I've started doing this, I haven't had this problem.

Barbara
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Whenever you buy grain or grain products, you should put it in the freezer for a couple days (or store it there if you have the room--that is what I do). That will kill off any wee beasties that naturally come with grains. Since I've started doing this, I haven't had this problem.

Barbara
Thank you Barbara, that seems good advice
__________________
Argamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:17 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,102
Great tip, Barbara. I'll have to remember that one.
__________________

__________________
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.