"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 06-20-2006, 04:21 PM   #11
Sous Chef
A yellow spot should be riper than a white spot. Ask me, I buy a LOT of watermelon. :) Should not be dark yellow as that is a sign of over ripe

IcyMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:36 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
I love watermelon and have never know how to choose them. Thanks for the tips!

DesertRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:13 PM   #13
Master Chef
Look for the yellow spot and thump. What you are trying to ascertain is the amount of sugar compared to flesh. When the sugar content has reached sufficient concentration in the melon, the sound when the flesh is lightly slapped, is deep and resonating. Also, you will feel a vibration on your fingers as the energy from your slap bounces back and forth between the melon sides. For a good idea of what it's supposed to feel like, get yourself a canister of Go-Jo brand hand cleaner. The soap is gelled and will give you the same vibration feeling as a good watermelon when the outside of the canister is slapped.

I know this sounds wierd, but as a young teen, I was facinated by the resonance of different materials. I just liked the feel of it. As an Electrical Engineering Tech., and with some background in physics, I learned more about resonance, or the transfer of energy in a spring-like motion, either through reflecting waves, or an actual spring, guitar string, etc.

That wave reflection of energy in both the Go-Jo can, and the watermelon is what creates the vibration. And I just remembered the feeling of the Go-Jo when I first learned to slap mellons. And to date, the sensation has never led me astray.

You know, sometimes I feel like I get just a little too technical, too carried away with an idea. But the Go-Jo memory just shows how there are so many relationships between materials that can be exploited to achieve a goal.
Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:14 PM   #14
Master Chef
Many thanks to all of you for your tips since posting this thread--obviously a yellow spot is very important (did not know that)-----Goodweed of the North--WOW! I went to the garage and was disappointed to find that our GoJo is GoGone--my son who is currently living in and taking care of our house while we live overseas( we're home for a short visit) said that we ran out a long time ago but I''m familiar with the product and I think that understand what you are talking about---in other words you really don't want to hear a "hollow" sound which is why I've had problems with picking overripe melons---sure does make sense---and I've used my knuckles to tap and not my slapping my hand against the side on the watermelons. Will sure give it a try and let you know how it works out. GoJo!
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:00 PM   #15
Head Chef
[quote=jkath]Have you tried the tiny Dulcinea watermelons? They always are exactly ripe, imo. They're really sweet, easy to cut up and seedless.

I really like those Dulcinea melons. With just the 2 of us, they are the perfect size, and I've never had a bad one.
Practice random acts of kindness.

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 03:27 AM   #16
Now that's what I call a watermelon

cloudybutnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:37 AM   #17
Master Chef
I'm watching Sara Moulton, and she has a French chief on as a guest. He was using melon in a recipe, and she asked him how to choose a melon. He said if it smells good on the outside, it tastes good on the inside.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote