"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-20-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
Master Chef

Exclamation Picking a good watermelon

ok---watermelon season is close by if not already here---can you please share your tips on how you find the best watermelons---my luck is thump and miss most of the time----in fact mine are usually overripe. HELP!!

Old 06-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I looks for a nice green melon with a white spot where it was sitting on the ground. It sould be heavy for its size. Other than that I do not really know.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
Head Chef

I'm with GB... I really don't know either. However, when they are truly in season you'll know because they'll be cheap and plentiful. When that happens, I'd say MOST of them are quite good. I don't know if I've ever gotten one (in season) that I was not satisfied with.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Im with GB heavy for size and a white or even yellow spot.Never could tell with just a thump.Just looked it up .Avoid melons with a flat side,skin should be dull not shiny.they say slap the melon and listen for a hollow thump.
Maybe thats what Im doing wrong I thumping with my fingers instead of using my hand.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I looks for a nice green melon with a white spot where it was sitting on the ground. It sould be heavy for its size. Other than that I do not really know.

Have you ever seen one without a white spot on the bottom? Is that an indicator of something?
Old 06-20-2006, 04:24 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

LOL no now tht you mention it Andy I do not think I have seem one without that spot. I just remembered hearing that somewhere and it stuck in my brain.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:41 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I think a yellow spot is better than a white spot. See, the melon ripens, but the white spot develops because that is the part that sits on the ground. If it has a yellow spot, that means it was ripe before they picked it. Like some other fruits, melons don't ripen after being picked, they only rot.

-Tim
Old 06-20-2006, 04:49 PM   #8
Hospitality Queen

Have you tried the tiny Dulcinea watermelons? They always are exactly ripe, imo. They're really sweet, easy to cut up and seedless.

If you've purchased a melon and it's not good, just take it back to the store. They'll give you another. Also, if you're not sure, most produce markets will slice the melon in half so you can see it before you take it home. (They'll wrap it in saran wrap too)
Old 06-20-2006, 05:13 PM   #9
Head Chef

I won't swear to its effectiveness in selecting the best fruit, but I love the sound, the feel and the vibration caused by a heavy pat or a light slap with an open palm.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:19 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Have you ever seen one without a white spot on the bottom? Is that an indicator of something?
I recently saw somewhere where they recommended this spot be light yellow to indicate ripeness, rather than white, and last time I looked at the grocery store, I did indeed find some with yellow spots. I bought one, and it was the most perfectly ripe watermelon I've ever had.