Pickled Banana Peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B'sgirl

Sous Chef
I figured I wouldn't post this in the "vegetables" category since I'm not sure a pickled pepper really counts as that anyway.

I was just wondering if anyone has a recipe that calls for pickled banana peppers. I grew a ton in my garden last year and couldn't use them all so I pickled them. But now I have all these jars of peppers and I don't know how to use them!:rolleyes:

B girl you have a real delima. I am a charter member of the chili heads and eat a pint or two every week. I doubt very seriously that I could eat all of your peppers. Try and find some friends that like peppers and make gifts out of them You will be famious for your pickled peppers

Toss them on a pizza with red onions.

Saute them in olive oil with garlic and cherry tomatoes and mix in your favorite fried seafood.

Use them as a special topping for a burger, I would add nacho cheese too.

Speaking of nachos....there you go.

Pickled banana peppers (aka pepperoncini) are usually used on sandwiches or in salads (Greek or pasta), antipasto, on the side as a garnish/condiment like many people eat a dill pickle spear with a lot of things.

You might look over some of these pepperoncini recipes for some more ideas.

My X-DW (Brooklyn Italian) used to eat them with just about everything but breakfast - and she used to make the beef/pork pot roast with pepperoncini and it was fantastic.

I usually use them on a provolone sandwich
keiser roll
provolone
mustard/ mayo
lettuce
tomato
pickle
onions
pickled pepper
good seasons itlaian dressing

similar to a philly hoagie I used to get when i was in school

ps ( I have a gallon jar of pickled peppers myself from last year, thats a lot of sandwiches...)

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers....
Ok thanks I got that out of my system. :)

I love them on sandwiches, if I have them they don't last long cuz I put them on every sandwich and salad I eat, and I eat alot of those!

Get some pimento, a few hot peppers. chop everything up with some of the banana peppers and stir into cream cheese. It makes a good spread for crackers or celery.

Pickled banana peppers (aka pepperoncini) are usually used on sandwiches or in salads (Greek or pasta), antipasto, on the side as a garnish/condiment like many people eat a dill pickle spear with a lot of things.

You might look over some of these pepperoncini recipes for some more ideas.

My X-DW (Brooklyn Italian) used to eat them with just about everything but breakfast - and she used to make the beef/pork pot roast with pepperoncini and it was fantastic.

Michael, Pepperoncini are made from pepperoncini peppers, which are not the same critter as sweet banana peppers. They are short, squatty little peppers that are sometimes pretty hot.

That being said, the pickled sweet banana peppers can be used in the same way as the pepperoncini.

I use them in a great chicken and rice dish I make.
There's no measurements so I'll tell you how I do it.

Take about a pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts
and put them in a dutch oven with a 16 ounce bottle of
Robusto Italian dressing. I then add a small jar of banana
peppers juice and all and then I bring that up to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is done cooked throughout.

Then saute up a large sweet onion, a red and green pepper, and
mushrooms if you want (as many as you want). While that's cooking
I shred the chicken and discard the liquid it cooked in. Add the chicken to
the veggies.

Then I make 2 boxes of chicken rice a roni according to the directions.
Except as soon as I add the water I add the chicken and veggies to the
rice and simmer that until all or most of the liquid is evaporated.

This dish is great hot or cold.

Forgot the best use of them. I haven't had it for a long time.

Braunsweiger, raw onion and banana peppers on a cracker.... YUMMY!!!

Michael, Pepperoncini are made from pepperoncini peppers, which are not the same critter as sweet banana peppers. They are short, squatty little peppers that are sometimes pretty hot.

That being said, the pickled sweet banana peppers can be used in the same way as the pepperoncini.

Hey, I think that is the name of a pepper I have been searching for to make a spicy spaghetti sauce! Thanks!

And those are great suggestions for the banana peppers, everyone! My son broke one of my jars, but I still have two more. That cheese spread sounds really good.

how about caribbean style pork chops?

in a mortar and pestle, put a a coupla allspice berries, a crushed bay leaf, a clove, and a few black peppercorns. mash, then add powdered onion, powdered garlic, powdered cayenne, and salt.

mix together, then rub on pork chops. grill the chops, then top with the pickled banana peppers, and a splash of the brine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom