"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Pickled Garlic

A friend of mine brought over some pickled garlic Sunday for Superbowl sandwiches and they were AMAZING. He told me that his family had been pickling Garlic for decades and the jar he brought over has been stored for ab out 10 years.

He explained to me his process on pickling them however when doing some research online I could not find a recipe even remotely similar to his.

He says all that you do is add garlic and vinegar to a jar, wait 24hrs for bubbles to appear, re-open and then reseal the jar for at least a few months. The longer the better.

All the recipes Ive found online involve boiling, adding sugar, adding water, etc.

I am tempted to try it his way because the were so incredibly tasty, however im discouraged due to my inability of finding a recipe close to his.

Any suggestions?

Old 02-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Executive Chef

There's many ways to pickle garlic. Your friend's method is just one of many. I buy regular, teriyaki, spicy, and sweet and sour. I don't know how it's done, but the people I buy from sure do a great job. If you loved his, use his recipe. It's just a variation on a theme and the theme is pickled garlic.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Ok cool. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
Head Chef

I just put peeled garlic in a covered jar filled with red wine vinegar. Everything is refilled as it is used. Lasts forever as you have found out. Garlic becomes mild enough to just munch on straight.

Just NEVER store garlic (or tomatoes) in oil unless you want to grow a garden of bacteria.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:09 AM   #5
Sous Chef

I put the peeled cloves in a jar and fill to cover with seasoned (sweet) rice vinegar. Stick 'em in the back of the fridge until I remember they're there. Eat 'em like candy.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I have a question. I used balsamic vinegar because it was different from the other flavors I have. Can I use the vinegar in other things? I drink pickle juice so is it any different using the vinegar from this in something?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I have always processed the pickled garlic in a hot water bath.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
Head Chef

Yes you could use the vinegar for other uses. That's one of the ways vinegars are flavored. Just keep refrigerated when it has garlic in it.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
Senior Cook

If you like the sweetness of pickled garlic, I would also suggest you try pickled leeks. They are not like Holland Onions. You can find them at your local asian market. They are also fantastic in Martinis.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Okay, DD now thinks I'm crazy. I have used up all my older vinegars that hadn't quite turned but were ready to be tossed and now have three jars of various pickled garlics. Rice Wine, Red Wine, and Balsamic. The hard part is going to be waiting for them to pickle themselves.