"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen
My mother in law, who came from the U.P. of Michigan, made terrific pies with Crisco, however when she made pasties she made the crust with beef suet. They melted in your mouth. She made the best pasties I have ever had in my life and the beef suet made a difference. She never used suet in fruit pies or anything else.
and my Aunt Sadie made her crust for Chicken Pot Pies with Schmaltz (chicken fat!) I've been thinking about those, and planning to do some this fall...

On my mom's side, everyone except my Mom used lard for their pie crusts. They really do taste better than Crisco, altho Crisco makes some nice flaky pastry. When making tarts, where you want the crust to stand alone, butter is a better choice, because it produces a much sturdier crust than either lard or Crisco. These days, I use lard (home rendered) for pie crusts, because I don't want the hydrogenized stuff.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #12
Master Chef

My pie crust recipe calls for lard and when I make it with Crisco it usually comes out bad but lard works everytime! Wouldn't consider using anything else. BTW it is my Grandpa's recipe.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I must buy some lard!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
I must buy some lard!
Look at the label. Around here I only see Armour and Bryan, both of which are somehow hydrogenated. Elsewhere, I understand, lard is available in a more natural state. You can see which is which in the ingredient list.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:39 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

skillet, we have tons of Spanish-speaking folks living in my area now, and the stores are quickly responding to this new market segment. I bet I will be able to find some decent lard, but thanks for the tip!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:42 PM   #16
Executive Chef

A collateral benefit of home rendering can be some pretty tasty cracklins. They go great on salad and are pretty good alone with some salt or mixed in some goose or chicken schmalz and perhaps some chopped onion on a crusty slice of rye bread. Some might consider it even better then the onions and cheddar with crackers that one used to be able to 'nibble' on at McSorleys in NYC.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:46 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
skillet, we have tons of Spanish-speaking folks living in my area now, and the stores are quickly responding to this new market segment. I bet I will be able to find some decent lard, but thanks for the tip!
I hope you'll let me know what you find.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:48 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

can do, skillet!
Old 07-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill
A collateral benefit of home rendering can be some pretty tasty cracklins. They go great on salad and are pretty good alone with some salt or mixed in some goose or chicken schmalz and perhaps some chopped onion on a crusty slice of rye bread. Some might consider it even better then the onions and cheddar with crackers that one used to be able to 'nibble' on at McSorleys in NYC.
Lest we hijack this thread, why don't you start a new one on the topic of home rendering lard and the collateral benefits including cracklins. If you have experience, I have questions.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:11 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Thanks for the warning/suggestion, Licker. Perhaps you’d care to start such a thread. IMHO this forum is quite fragmented, requires a great deal of jumping around to view items of interest and creates an environment that fosters disjointed and incomplete conversations.