"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-01-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
Cook

Piecrust Ingredient Question

I found a recipe for a pie that I think I can actually make...we will see:) anyway..my question is can I substitute crisco for lard? Or does lard make better pies? Also, if it makes more dough that I need..can I just put the discs I have made and put them in the refrigerator or freeze until I need them? Thx

Old 07-01-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Shortening is a common substitution for lard in pie crusts.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Iam a bad one to answer - I have never made a pie crust in my 62 yrs.
Pitiful huh ! But my mom used Crisco if she didn't have lard and her pies were great.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
Senior Cook

You can substitute with great results. Also, wrap leftover dough well and definitely freeze for later delicious pies.
You can also prepare another pie, wrap it well and freeze(before baking).
When you want a fresh pie, bake it from the frozen state.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I never have used lard on any pie crusts I have made...shortening works perfectly fine!
Old 07-01-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I make piecrust both ways, but much prefer the ones made with lard. When I use lard, I add a little of white vinegar in place of the water. Not sure what that does, but one of my aunts, who made the best Cornish pasties, always did that to her pastie dough and they were just the best.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
Head Chef

I use butter flavored Crisco instead of lard or regular shortening.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #8
Master Chef

Beleive it or not, lard is actually more healthy than is shortening. Due to it's natere, it actually makes a flakier crust as well. But the shortening based crust can be done very well.

In making crust, make sure to add just enough fat, be it shortening or larc, to creat pea-sized granuals after the fat is cut into the flour. Make sour to add enough liquid to make the crust stick toghter. Too much liquid will cause the dough to lose its flakiness, while too little causes it to fall apart when you try to handle it.

Do not overwork the dough, and keep it as cold as possible. I always chill my fat and the flour before starting the crust. I also use ice-water to wet it. Overworking it will caust the crust to become tough.

You ahve to make a few crusts to get the right feel, and I literally meat feel. When the dough is right, you will know by its consistance. I know that for a single pie, with a top and bottom crust, I have to use 3 cups of all-purpose flour, and 1 1/2 tsp. salt. After that, I just cut in lard, starting with a half-cup, and adding more as required, until I get the peas-sized granuals. It won't start toughening until the water is added. I then add about 3 tbs. ice water and stir with a fork. If it is not hlding together well, I add another tbs. or so and stir this in.

Flour the board, roll out the crust to a circle two inches wider that the top of the pie pan, fold into forths and put into the pie pan. Fill and top with the second crust. Poke holes in the top to allow steam to excape. brush with egg-wash and sprinkle sugar over the top. Bake until golden in a 400 degree oven. Of course it's best to make a pie ring out of aluminum foil to keep the drust edge from overcooking.

Good luck.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:34 AM   #9
Executive Chef

IMHO Even the commonly available lard which is typically adulterated with hydrogenated vegetable oil is better than Crisco. Bests results come from using home rendered lard.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:31 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
I make piecrust both ways, but much prefer the ones made with lard. When I use lard, I add a little of white vinegar in place of the water. Not sure what that does, but one of my aunts, who made the best Cornish pasties, always did that to her pastie dough and they were just the best.
My mother in law, who came from the U.P. of Michigan, made terrific pies with Crisco, however when she made pasties she made the crust with beef suet. They melted in your mouth. She made the best pasties I have ever had in my life and the beef suet made a difference. She never used suet in fruit pies or anything else.