Piecrust Ingredient Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deeppitbbq

Cook
I found a recipe for a pie that I think I can actually make...we will see:) anyway..my question is can I substitute crisco for lard? Or does lard make better pies? Also, if it makes more dough that I need..can I just put the discs I have made and put them in the refrigerator or freeze until I need them? Thx

Last edited:
Iam a bad one to answer - I have never made a pie crust in my 62 yrs.
Pitiful huh ! But my mom used Crisco if she didn't have lard and her pies were great.

You can substitute with great results. Also, wrap leftover dough well and definitely freeze for later delicious pies.
You can also prepare another pie, wrap it well and freeze(before baking).
When you want a fresh pie, bake it from the frozen state.

I make piecrust both ways, but much prefer the ones made with lard. When I use lard, I add a little of white vinegar in place of the water. Not sure what that does, but one of my aunts, who made the best Cornish pasties, always did that to her pastie dough and they were just the best.

Beleive it or not, lard is actually more healthy than is shortening. Due to it's natere, it actually makes a flakier crust as well. But the shortening based crust can be done very well.

In making crust, make sure to add just enough fat, be it shortening or larc, to creat pea-sized granuals after the fat is cut into the flour. Make sour to add enough liquid to make the crust stick toghter. Too much liquid will cause the dough to lose its flakiness, while too little causes it to fall apart when you try to handle it.

Do not overwork the dough, and keep it as cold as possible. I always chill my fat and the flour before starting the crust. I also use ice-water to wet it. Overworking it will caust the crust to become tough.

You ahve to make a few crusts to get the right feel, and I literally meat feel. When the dough is right, you will know by its consistance. I know that for a single pie, with a top and bottom crust, I have to use 3 cups of all-purpose flour, and 1 1/2 tsp. salt. After that, I just cut in lard, starting with a half-cup, and adding more as required, until I get the peas-sized granuals. It won't start toughening until the water is added. I then add about 3 tbs. ice water and stir with a fork. If it is not hlding together well, I add another tbs. or so and stir this in.

Flour the board, roll out the crust to a circle two inches wider that the top of the pie pan, fold into forths and put into the pie pan. Fill and top with the second crust. Poke holes in the top to allow steam to excape. brush with egg-wash and sprinkle sugar over the top. Bake until golden in a 400 degree oven. Of course it's best to make a pie ring out of aluminum foil to keep the drust edge from overcooking.

Good luck.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Katie E said:
I make piecrust both ways, but much prefer the ones made with lard. When I use lard, I add a little of white vinegar in place of the water. Not sure what that does, but one of my aunts, who made the best Cornish pasties, always did that to her pastie dough and they were just the best.

My mother in law, who came from the U.P. of Michigan, made terrific pies with Crisco, however when she made pasties she made the crust with beef suet. They melted in your mouth. She made the best pasties I have ever had in my life and the beef suet made a difference. She never used suet in fruit pies or anything else.

DramaQueen said:
My mother in law, who came from the U.P. of Michigan, made terrific pies with Crisco, however when she made pasties she made the crust with beef suet. They melted in your mouth. She made the best pasties I have ever had in my life and the beef suet made a difference. She never used suet in fruit pies or anything else.
and my Aunt Sadie made her crust for Chicken Pot Pies with Schmaltz (chicken fat!) I've been thinking about those, and planning to do some this fall... :)

On my mom's side, everyone except my Mom used lard for their pie crusts. They really do taste better than Crisco, altho Crisco makes some nice flaky pastry. When making tarts, where you want the crust to stand alone, butter is a better choice, because it produces a much sturdier crust than either lard or Crisco. These days, I use lard (home rendered) for pie crusts, because I don't want the hydrogenized stuff.

My pie crust recipe calls for lard and when I make it with Crisco it usually comes out bad but lard works everytime! Wouldn't consider using anything else. BTW it is my Grandpa's recipe.

mudbug said:
I must buy some lard!
Look at the label. Around here I only see Armour and Bryan, both of which are somehow hydrogenated. Elsewhere, I understand, lard is available in a more natural state. You can see which is which in the ingredient list.

skillet, we have tons of Spanish-speaking folks living in my area now, and the stores are quickly responding to this new market segment. I bet I will be able to find some decent lard, but thanks for the tip!

A collateral benefit of home rendering can be some pretty tasty cracklins. They go great on salad and are pretty good alone with some salt or mixed in some goose or chicken schmalz and perhaps some chopped onion on a crusty slice of rye bread. Some might consider it even better then the onions and cheddar with crackers that one used to be able to 'nibble' on at McSorleys in NYC.

mudbug said:
skillet, we have tons of Spanish-speaking folks living in my area now, and the stores are quickly responding to this new market segment. I bet I will be able to find some decent lard, but thanks for the tip!
I hope you'll let me know what you find.

justplainbill said:
A collateral benefit of home rendering can be some pretty tasty cracklins. They go great on salad and are pretty good alone with some salt or mixed in some goose or chicken schmalz and perhaps some chopped onion on a crusty slice of rye bread. Some might consider it even better then the onions and cheddar with crackers that one used to be able to 'nibble' on at McSorleys in NYC.
Lest we hijack this thread, why don't you start a new one on the topic of home rendering lard and the collateral benefits including cracklins. If you have experience, I have questions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the warning/suggestion, Licker. Perhaps you’d care to start such a thread. IMHO this forum is quite fragmented, requires a great deal of jumping around to view items of interest and creates an environment that fosters disjointed and incomplete conversations.

Back
Top Bottom