Pierogi Princess

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pierogi Princess

Senior Cook
My husband loves chicken liver and onions. I cooked it for the first time tonight. I did not do bad, but they had a strong liver taste. How can I reduce that strong taste. Please help. Thanks.:ermm:

My husband loves chicken liver and onions. I cooked it for the first time tonight. I did not do bad, but they had a strong liver taste. How can I reduce that strong taste. Please help. Thanks.:ermm:

It's liver, it's supposed to have a strong liver taste.

You could try soaking the livers in milk for a few hours.

Maybe adding a white sauce at the end of cooking, or even on the side. It would act as a bland counterpart to the strong flavored liver.

Can you also suggest an alternative breading than flour, I am not sure that was my best decision. I will try the milk - definitely.

Zhizara, I am a very [FONT=&quot]amateur [/FONT]cook, I will need help with a sauce please.

Can you also suggest an alternative breading than flour, I am not sure that was my best decision. I will try the milk - definitely.

Zhizara, I am a very [FONT=&quot]amateur [/FONT]cook, I will need help with a sauce please.

White sauce is the simplest sauce of all:

2 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. flour
2 Cups milk

Melt the butter, stir in the flour, add milk gradually while stirring. Salt & pepper to your taste.

Master this one sauce and you will be able to make any kind of gravy or sauce.

THANKS ZHIZARA, I have it copied and close to my heart, can't wait to try it. My husband also likes white sauces. I am not a fan, but you never know, maybe I never had a good one.

White sauce is the simplest sauce of all:

2 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. flour
2 Cups milk

Melt the butter, stir in the flour, add milk gradually while stirring. Salt & pepper to your taste.

Master this one sauce and you will be able to make any kind of gravy or sauce.

P.Pierogi, you need to keep heating on medium while stirring until it thickens.

Calfs liver or Turkey liver are mild.
I live under the same principle as Tom, you just cant have too much bacon.

I had chicken liver for the first time a few nights ago, then again last night. It was in a sauce (and a stuffing), but the liver flavor still shown through. I thought it tasted like beef liver, which I like just floured and cooked in bacon grease. I never got into the whole onions and peppers thing as it took away from the liver, IMO.
So I'm with Andy. I think to tame down the taste you need to do something before you cook it. Milk sounds like a good idea.

I don't know about chicken livers, but beef liver slices, marinated for more than about 15 minutes turns to mush.

topping it with bacon never hurts. :pig:
I think that is the way to go. You need an equally strong flavored meat to help mask the liver aftertaste. The smoke and salt from bacon helps a lot. The last restaurant I worked at sold liver. I added lots of Montreal steak spice to the breadcrumbs. It worked well. We had lots of repeat customers. It helps if you cook the onions together with the liver in the same pan. The onion juices get soaked up by the breadcrumbs for extra flavor.

calf's liver, bacon, and onions (with a squirt of ketchup or a1, or hp sauce) is a really great combo.

i love irish bacon with liver. it's not the crispy strips of belly bacon americans are used to. it's more of a hammy slice, probably from the sirloin end.

I can't stand the taste of liver but funny thing is I can cook up a beautiful dish of liver and onions that others have gone nuts over. lol

Thank you my new friends, I have to say I am new to this forum, or any forum for that matter and I am overwhelmed with your expeditious and expertise advise. Thank you very much!!

Back
Top Bottom