"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-31-2007, 12:35 PM   #11
Master Chef

I cheat! I use won ton wrappers. Ouch! I'm sure they aren't as tasty as home-made! I make a meat-based filling (usually ground dark meat turkey), garlic, onions, chives, etc, but no distinctly ethnic flavorings. Then I freeze. I then have them to use as anything from ravioli to pierogi to won tons to mandoo to potstickers to ......... I put the ethnically distinct flavorings in the sauce, soup, dip, etc.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Flat Pierogi

My pierogi are nice and fat when I make them but when I boil them they flatten out. This is the same recipe I've used since handed by my husband's grandmother 40 years ago. Any suggestions about why this is happening lately?

Old 10-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Cindyser - maybe you have switched to a flour that contains less gluten? This would make the dough less elastic and not retain its shape while boiling.

Back to the dough - in my opinion it should not contain anything besides flour and water. At least this is how it is done traditionally in the region that I come from.

The recipe is:
2 cups plain white flour
1 cup boiling water

You put the flour into a stand mixer with a hook, then, while mixing, pour in the boiling water. Knead it for 10-15 minutes and let it rest for an hour.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I use the food processor. I use a 750 ml yogurt container to measure the AP flour. I use a 500 ml of sour cream. Once the dough forms a ball in the FP, I knead the dough for about 2-3 minutes, and then roll it out. Works for me every time. I use 4% fat sour cream and Red Roses AP flour. I was taught how to make perogies by a woman who lived in SK. I make the filling the night before and shape it into "logs." This friend of mine and another friend used to get together every November and we'd make 144 dozen perogies (about 12 dozen for each of us). We'd start at around 10 in the monring and finish around 3. This was with 10 lb of potatoes, 2 lb of grated cheese, 2-4 HUGE spanish onions, and 2-3 lb of bacon for the filling made the night before. We rotated who had to make the filling. We'd make about 5-6 batches of dough for the filling.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I cheat! I use won ton wrappers. Ouch! I'm sure they aren't as tasty as home-made! I make a meat-based filling (usually ground dark meat turkey), garlic, onions, chives, etc, but no distinctly ethnic flavorings. Then I freeze. I then have them to use as anything from ravioli to pierogi to won tons to mandoo to potstickers to ......... I put the ethnically distinct flavorings in the sauce, soup, dip, etc.
My sister in law is Polish. She's made pierogies with homemade dough and wonton wrappers. I prefer the wrappers! Her homemade dough is great but the wonton skins are always perfect and much easier. The potato and sour cream filling and sauerkraut pierogies are my favourite.
Talking about Polish food, wish she would get some Instant Barszcz Czerwony again, love the stuff and we can't buy it here

Love sour beetroot soup!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote