Pillsbury Gravy Mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Do any of you find it in the stores any more? I used to like to keep it on hand for using with leftovers and the like, but can't find it anywhere anymore. It was quite tasty, and fat-free.

I tried some McCormicks the other night with some leftover sliced steak, but it tasted so salty and nasty I gave it all to the dogs.

Have any of you all found a brand that tastes good?

Constance, we're always on the lookout for good gravy mixes...we've found a brand called "Pioneer." They make a brown gravy mix and a white gravy mix. They are pretty good. In so many mixes, I can taste all those ingredients I can't pronounce! :LOL:

When in a pinch and forced to use a packaged dry gravy mix, I always enhance the packaged stuff by adding some sauteed shallots or onions or garlic, and/or fresh mushrooms. Sometimes I will just increase the quantity of my homemade gravy with a package of the dry stuff, but again, only in a pinch.

If you're still finding it, Luvs, I'll keep looking.
In the meantime, I've seen the Pioneer Brand in the stores here..I'll give it a try Callie.
I never use a mix for white gravy...all you need is a little bacon grease or butter. But I use the brown gravy mix for leftovers sometimes, and the Pillsbury tastes a lot like homemade.

Have you tried any of the jarred gravies? Heinz has some fairly good ones, and Boston Chicken has a great chicken gravy.

Don't know about the Pillsbury mixes - never seen 'em - usually use McCormick or Knorr - but I doctor them with a little wine, which seems to cut some of the saltiness and 'metallic' flavor a lot of them have.

Hey, I know homemade is best; but sometimes ya just gotta!:angel:

Constance said:
If you're still finding it, Luvs, I'll keep looking.
In the meantime, I've seen the Pioneer Brand in the stores here..I'll give it a try Callie.
I never use a mix for white gravy...all you need is a little bacon grease or butter. But I use the brown gravy mix for leftovers sometimes, and the Pillsbury tastes a lot like homemade.
Constance,
I use a mix made by Knorr and I find it very good. I use their Au Jus all the time when we want a quick french dip, the mushroom, brown, onion gravies are all very good, I don't find them salty and the flavor to me is mushc better than McCormick..
kadesma

Thanks, Kadesma. I've seen the Knorr mixes here too. I'll give them a try. I wish I'd used something like that the other night, instead of ruining that lovely sliced steak. :(

I also found an online grocery where I can order the Pillsbury brand. They are .69 a box, but I don't know what the shipping would be.

Constance said:
Thanks, Kadesma. I've seen the Knorr mixes here too. I'll give them a try. I wish I'd used something like that the other night, instead of ruining that lovely sliced steak. :(

I also found an online grocery where I can order the Pillsbury brand. They are .69 a box, but I don't know what the shipping would be.
I'm glad you found a source for the mix. The market I shop at is all about food, their cheese section, has cgeese I've only read about in cokbooks, and I'm making it my goal to try 2 new ones each week. They also have a board where you can ask for certain items and they will get them for you..I find this place very coustomer friendly:) Have you asked them to order for you at your market?
kadesma

Kadeesma, this is a small town in a financially depressed area. When the Super Walmart opened, our only 2 locally owned markets went out of business. So Walmart is it...and they don't order anything for anyone. I already asked a girl in the meat department about that. They just take what comes in.

I went ahead and ordered the gravy mix online. At .65 ea. for 20 boxes, plus $6.00 for shipping, the total came in under a dollar a box for probably a year's supply. With gas at $2.35 a gallon, it's cheaper than driving to another town to get it.

some of the knorr sauces and mixes are edible. but I usually either use pan drippings no matter how meager and sour cream (a good quickie) or an appropriate jar or bottle of salsa or pub sauce or tomato sauce.

Back
Top Bottom