"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Piros Arany- paprika paste

I was gifted a tube of this paprika paste, but all the recipes I see call for paprika powder. Can anyone tell me what the equivalent amounts are to match the paste to the powder?

TIA

Old 11-14-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Piros Arany- paprika paste

Welcome to DC! Never heard of paprika paste. Since I rarely measure paprika, I'd try an amount of paste equal to what it calls for in powder in your recipe.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Here's what it looks like. The tube is not very big, and I'm concerned that it is too concentrated. I suppose I could start small and add as needed. i just can't seem to find any resources or information on this product and how it's used.
Univer Sweet Paprika Paste in Tube ( Pasta De Ardei Dulce ) -160 g - Amazon.com
Old 11-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobuff2 View Post
Here's what it looks like. The tube is not very big, and I'm concerned that it is too concentrated. I suppose I could start small and add as needed. i just can't seem to find any resources or information on this product and how it's used.
Univer Sweet Paprika Paste in Tube ( Pasta De Ardei Dulce ) -160 g - Amazon.com

Ah. Since it's sweet paprika, you can probably add as much as you want, it won't make anything too spicy. Bet it would be great mixed in deviled eggs!
Old 11-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Paprika and pepper pastes are common in Hungarian and Turkish cookery. Add it to meat stews and soup. I even spread it on bread.

I use Turkish version and it's intense. Pic of the jar is in middle of the page.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
Head Chef

I don't know that there's really a ratio of paste to dry, because the paste is a puree of roasted pepper and retains a lot of the fresh pepper flavor. Dry has a different character. I would consider the paste the more subtle ingredient and use it for recipes where that quality can be appreciated, using the powder for heavier recipes. The paste can also be concentrated to a greater or lesser degree by different makers. I would presume a small tube to be more concentrated than a large jar.

Here's what someone said about dosage:
"The proportion is usually 1 Tbs paste = 1 tsp powder if it is paprika of the sweet variety. As you usually add to tsp paprika powder to a recipe, that means adding to 1 tsp of paste." Half of that for the hot variety.

That ratio is the same as for fresh versus dried herbs, also.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

I love paprika paste (biber salcasi in Turkish). It makes a great chicken rub mixed 60:40 with coriander chutney, garlic and a bit of lemon juice or yoghurt. The color will be an unappetizing brown but it turns red with cooking.