"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Pistachio cookies

I'm new here & jumping right in with a question! I'm from MA & was wondering if anyone here has ever been to Mike's Pastry in Boston's North End. If you have, you may have had their pistachio cookies. OMG! They are incredible. So here's the question...Has anyone duplicated the recipe? I have tried & tried, but still nothing like them. I've been using almond paste, but now I'm wondering if they use that at all. I tried beating the egg whites till stiff, not dry. I tried beating them till frothy. I dropped them in the mixture of almond paste & sugar, both 10X and/or white. Used flour and no flour. I think you get the picture. Speaking of which I inserted a picture of them. Aye yai yai!!!! I SO want to make these babies!
Help anyone?
Clara aka nuzzmark

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pistachio cookie pic.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	9178  

Old 12-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
Flour Child

This might be helpful:

Looking for a pistachio macroon cookie recipe like mike pastry in boston ma. thx.? - Yahoo! Answers

I think you're on the right path with almond paste. They're called pistachio macaroons apparently and are dusted with powdered sugar. I wish I lived in Boston now

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

they sound so good. my daughter's favorite. printed and will make. went on line to my store. no nuts or almond paste.. couple more i will check out.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Hi! Thank you! You know..I think I saw this & completely forgot about it! At my grocery store, they sell almond paste..Odense. It's with all the baking stuff. If they have it at your store, make sure you get almond paste....not the marzipan. It's $5.99
I need to get more of the almond paste myself. Probably more pistachio's too..lol. I got some at BJ's Wholesale club & they're called "Wonderful" pistachios...roasted & salted...$10.99 for a 1 lb. bag.
Thanks again....
Clara
Old 12-10-2010, 02:16 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
This might be helpful:

Looking for a pistachio macroon cookie recipe like mike pastry in boston ma. thx.? - Yahoo! Answers

I think you're on the right path with almond paste. They're called pistachio macaroons apparently and are dusted with powdered sugar. I wish I lived in Boston now

A million thanks for that recipe. It is perfect for someone like myself who is gluten intolerant - no gluten to be found in there.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
Flour Child

You're welcome. I had no idea I was being helpful regarding gluten but I'm sure glad it has none so that you can give these a go. I can't wait to make them for a pre-christmas dinner party I'm going to next week. Thanks Clara for letting us all know about these.

I'll report back with my critique...oh that reminds me, I have to post how my "Blessing of the Blender Party" went last weekend. (Here's a hint...awesomely wowee zowee)

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:03 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

uh... never heard of them before but I had to comment because that cookie looks absolutely delicious. I think I might try that recipe...
Old 12-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Okay, so my husband likes pistachios and he likes maccaroons - I think this recipie is the best of both worlds - gonna try it. Thanks for posting this.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
Flour Child

Be cautious because the link is not a TNT (not tried by me anyway) recipe...it's just the only one I could find and the poster is trying to replicate a secret recipe.

Here is a link to mikespastry.com if you want to order them and have them shipped....only problem is that they're quite pricey...$15 per pound plus shipping.

mikespastry: Pistachio Nut (Mike's Own) Macaroons by the Pound

I'm going to make these myself and probably tweak* the recipe so I'll let you know how it goes.

*...for instance, the recipe says to take a level Tblsp of the dough and roll into balls...um, that is a miniscule amount for making a cookie...and I don't think they were rolled into balls as they aren't that uniform in shape. The instructions forget to mention to coat them in powdered sugar after baking

Old 12-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

$15 a pound does sound pricey....until you go to make them yourself. $5.99 for 1 tube of almond paste. This recipe calls for 2 8oz. cans of almond paste. I couldn't find "cans". I got the Odense Almond paste & they are 7 oz. tubes. $10.99 for a 1 pound bag of pistachios. ( you use about 1/2 the bag) So right there you have over $15.00 & you get about 2 dozen. I didn't weigh them.....maybe they are 1-2 lbs.?????
The picture from Mike's Pastry where you can order them, does not look like the cookie at all. The one's I've bought from there are a good 2", more square & about 1" thick. Big cookie!
Oh well.......I'll try them again, but not now.
Anyone who tries them, please let us know how they came out!
Clara