"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Pistachio recipes

My wife bought some pistachios the other day. They are not salted, brother are they bland, but not stale. So, I think if someone could suggest a simple recipe it would be greatly appreciated. I have heard of things like cashew chicken, a friend likes that one. Perhaps some type of pound cake... Oh! Now I remember, I was looking online for pistachio recipes and several suggested using pistachio pudding in the recipe. Huh!!! We do not have anything like Central Market or Whole Foods down here in the benighted lands, so no pistachio pudding or mango tang etc.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Head Chef

Pistachio/Cranberry or Cherry Biscotti
Pistachio/Cranberry/White Chocolate Bars
Pistachio/Cherry Oatmeal Bars
Pistachio Ice Cream
Pistachio-Crusted Trout or other Fish Fillets
Pistachio-Crusted Chicken
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pistachio-crusted-chicken/

Old 02-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Pistachio baklava is THE BEST. I have a recipe that is great- none of that cinnamon and clove cover up for inferior nuts! Let me know if you want it.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal
Pistachio baklava is THE BEST. I have a recipe that is great- none of that cinnamon and clove cover up for inferior nuts! Let me know if you want it.
Yes, please!

How about pistachio pesto? Sub the pists for the pine nuts. Pist butter, throw the nuts into the food processer with a bit of oil, some salt, and use in place of peanut butter.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
Sous Chef

This is from my all time favorite cookbook Aroma of Aleppo. It sounds simple but that is what makes it so good...and the pistachio instead of the not as yummy walnut. But it is so good - people go nuts when I make it (pun!)

Anyway here is the recipe:
I have used 9 inch round cake pans but I always end up with too much pistachio so try a little bit bigger pan.
mix 1 lbs shelled pistachios chopped, 2 Tbsp powdered sugar, and 1/4 cup butter.

melt a cup of butter and layer 12 sheet of phyllo pastry, brushed with butter (like a disgusting amount of butter) between each layer. put the nuts in after 12 layers, then do 12 more layers. Pour any extra butter over the top. Refrigerate it for about half and hour until its firm enough to cut into triangles. Then bake at 350 for one hour.

make sugar syrup: 1/2 cup water melted with 1.5 cups sugar a teaspoon of lemon juice and a 1/2 teaspoon of orange flower or rose water. Let it boil for about 15 mins until its thick but still pourable. Refrigerate. Make sure the syrup is cold when you pour it over the hot baklava when it comes out of the oven. So usually I make the syrup first. I usually have some left over but it depends on how much syrup you like.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
Executive Chef

We made a semifreddo with them last week.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

And here I was thinking of my favorite gelato...pistachio!!!

Pistachio Gelato Recipe at Epicurious.com
Old 02-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Head Chef

Another idea is Pistachio Pesto:
Pistachio Pesto Recipe - Food.com - 110688
Old 02-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
Another idea is Pistachio Pesto:
Pistachio Pesto Recipe - Food.com - 110688
Wow that sounds delicious! Basil, cilantro, pistachios, garlic, Olive or pistachio oil, lemon or lime zest, Parmesan or Asiago cheese. I'm looking forward to trying it!

The main reason I don't buy pistachios is that an open container is an empty container! The only thing the shells do is slow me down a bit. Same end result!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Wow that sounds delicious! Basil, cilantro, pistachios, garlic, Olive or pistachio oil, lemon or lime zest, Parmesan or Asiago cheese. I'm looking forward to trying it!

The main reason I don't buy pistachios is that an open container is an empty container! The only thing the shells do is slow me down a bit. Same end result!
Same here - I can't stop eating them!