"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #11
Head Chef

?? I use a non-smoked provolone, like it on my pizza, like it on my Italian burgers.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #12
Honey Badger

I'm not a professional cook by any means.I just play one at home.

What comes to mind is
Onion Rolls,can be made ahead of time,and toasted when you need them.

Jazz up the tomatoes with some Italian Seasonings.Checca? Diced tomatoes with fresh garlic,basil,olive oil,sea salt.Tomatoes are in season and relatively cheap to get right now.

Play with the mayo,add a little garlic paste and blend,with some freshly diced Sweet Red Bell Peppers.Those to are in season.

Instead of Mozzarella,how about Provolone,Monterey Jack..

Good luck.

Munky.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:28 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
?? I use a non-smoked provolone, like it on my pizza, like it on my Italian burgers.
By all means. I know that even regular aged prov gives off a very strong flavor when melted that may be off-putting to someone expecting their burger to taste like a pizza. I'd still say go with a combo of mozz and parm.

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMetalChef View Post
By all means. I know that even regular aged prov gives off a very strong flavor when melted that may be off-putting to someone expecting their burger to taste like a pizza. I'd still say go with a combo of mozz and parm.
I agree! Getting away from Mozzarella and/or Parmesan cheese takes it away from being a pizza burger... unless you're from California. (I can say that! I lived there for 25 years! - ugh!)
Old 07-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Wow!!! Thank you all SO much! I'm going to print this thread and try these ideas. It sounds like fennel seed might be what it was missing most. The bun definitely needs a rethinking. I also like the idea of fresh spinach or other greens on there. There was a definite texture issue - not enough. And yes, I know it may sound like an unusual idea, but that is kinda what I am going for. Our place won't really serve more than burgers, hot dogs and chicken wings..there will be more, but those are the staples. So instead of pizza and nachoes, I thought a pizza burger and nacho burger were in order! Thanks again :)
Old 07-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #16
Head Chef

how about a Greek burger? feta, olives, red onion, lettuce

Old 07-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Funny thing is, I'm not an olive guy, but I mentioned that exact idea (plus a bit of tzatziki) to my wife about a week ago and she said it didn't sound good, so I dropped the idea. I was having a family birthday BBQ at my house last Sunday. I made two different kinds of stuffed burgers (bacon/cheddar and swiss/mushroom) and I wanted a 3rd option for the guests. I thought the Greek burger sounded like a good idea too, but she didn't. I went with the aforementioned nacho burger as the third instead. So, it does sound good then? It would be like a gyro burger.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #18
Head Chef

It depends on your clientele. You could always do a "special" and see if the customers bite... pun intended!!
Bleu cheese and bacon is a good combo, too.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

haha! I like puns almost as much as I like cooking...nah, even moreso. I like the bleu cheese idea though! A buffalo(as in wing sauce, not the animal) burger with bleu cheese! I am SO glad I found this place a few days ago...I'm never leaving!
Old 07-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam14 View Post
haha! I like puns almost as much as I like cooking...nah, even moreso. I like the bleu cheese idea though! A buffalo(as in wing sauce, not the animal) burger with bleu cheese! I am SO glad I found this place a few days ago...I'm never leaving!
Toss some bleu cheese, chopped celery in some hot sauce and stuff the burger!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote