"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Pizza Burger ideas

Hi, everyone. I'm hoping that some of you might have some ideas or suggestions for me. Here's the scenario. I'm developing a menu for a new burger restaurant that will be opening in my area soon. The menu is going to have about 3 or 4 "specialty" burgers on it. I came up with an idea and a recipe for a Nacho burger last week - tested on a dozen or so people and got fantastic reviews. I'm very happy about that. I also had an idea for a Pizza burger. It's basically a thin paddy with hamburger "walls" that hold in the sauce, mozzarella cheese and toppings. I made three last night. My wife was the first guines pig. She said it was alright, but was missing something. On her's I put, pepperoni - sauteed ahead of time - and mushrooms - also sauteed ahead of time with some garlic and butter. I then tried mine - toasted the bun, left off the mushrooms and added more pepperoni and some oregano. It sounds like mine was better than hers, but it was definitely missing something. I made a third for my business partner - doubled the pepperoni, kept the oregano and put mushrooms on - and he said it was pretty good and worthy to put on the menu - but I'm still not sure.

Now, the thing about it is, I can't change the actual hamburger mix recipe. It's going to be standard for 95% of the burgers on the menu. My wife had suggested making the bun more like garlic bread to give it that "something" that was missing. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what I might try to spice this burger up? It tasted like a bland, mushy pizza on a bun. I don't mind the "messy" part of it, and actually like that it's messy to eat.

Thanks to any and all suggestions :) I have pictures of my burger, as it was being cooked. I'm at work right now, but if anyone wants to see it, let me know and I'll put them up here when I get home.

Adam

Old 07-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Something you might think about: In conventional thought, the original reason for pizza wasn't the toppings - it's the BREAD! Toppings, even the original Pizza Margarite, were secondary. The real focus was the chewy and well developed flavor of the bread. But going with a pizza theme on a burger (which sounds strange to me) my suggestion would be for you to consider organizing the most popular and basic toppings: Mozzarella cheese, tomato based sauce and basil. But whatever you decide, keep it simple and uncomplicated flavor-wise. Good luck!

Old 07-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks for your input, Arky :) The burger will probably be on the menu to include, sauce, mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. There will also be a small list of toppings that can be added. Thinking of a different bun to closer resemble that of pizza dough might be a great way to go. I've already found our bun supplier, I might look into what other kinds of bread they make. Thanks! :)
Old 07-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
A key ingredient in pizza sauce is fennel seed IMHO. Fennel seed may help with that "pizza flavor."

Ciabatta might be a nice "bun" with the middle hollowed out. The bread should be maybe grilled a bit before the burger goes on.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Kind of a loaded question...Did you want it more Pizza-like? More burger-like? Or just want to intensify the flavor of the whole thing?

I have three suggestions:
Spicy sausage as a topping and/or
Worcestershire sauce mixed into the ground meat
Add the "kick" you're looking directly to the sauce.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
Head Chef

Yes, it's the fennel seed!!! It could be crushed and sprinkled on the patty while cooking it.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
That's a good idea Wyogal. If the burgers are made to order, more or less, you could even inject the burger with some sauce. Or, stuff the burger with the pizza ingredients. I think you will notice a big difference with the fennel seed though.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I agree with the choice of bread, and since you're already shaping the patty to hold the pizza toppings, something like a grilled flatbread would work beautifully.

And yeah, a shot of fennel would do wonders, as would a hit of parmesan to give it some sharpness.

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
Head Chef

or, mix fennel, red pepper flakes, oregano, garlic pwd, season the patty; top with provolone. Serve on a toasted ciabatta. I use a sort of Italian "catsup" with mine: tomato paste, oregano, basil, thyme, fennel, sugar (just a bit), cooked together. Instead of the regular lettuce, onion, pickle, tomato on the side, you could put other pizza toppings: artichoke hearts, grilled onions, olives, etc. maybe arugula instead of iceberg lettuce? or fresh spinach leaves?

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
Senior Cook

You don't think the provolone would be too aggressive in a decidedly non-pizza way?

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote