"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 02-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #11
Senior Cook
I use a wooden cutting board dusted with cornmeal to transfer the pizza to the stone.

mlyyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #12
Senior Cook
I don't have a pizza stone. I just get the dough ball, throw it around a bit to thin it out and then spread it out onto a well seasoned pizza pan (oiled with olive oil). Then I spread sauce and put toppings on it.

A pizza loaded with toppings is going to be heavy and may break if the crust is thin. You need the thin flat pizza slider thingy-ma-bob perhaps. Also, probably wait to top it until it's on the stone. Just have your toppings ready, so you can top it fast.

Pizzerias have it down to a science. I always am envious when I see their bins of toppings right next to each other. :)

jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:51 PM   #13
Master Chef
Site Administrator
I have a couple of pizza peels... BUT.. I use semolina flour instead of corn meal... I find it moves the dough off the peel better and I don't get that burned corn meal flavor with the 500F stone.

I just like it better.
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:53 PM   #14
Head Chef
Another vote for parchment paper. I have a peel but parchment still works better.

Another recommendation is not to build too large a pizza. I go for individual sized ones - 6 - 8 inches. That makes it easier to transfer, and every diner gets his own custom toppings.

If you like crispier crust then pre-cook the crust part way, remove from oven and add toppings, then finish in the oven.

Use the hottest setting your oven has (for most home ranges that's 500 F), and preheat the stone for 45 minutes to an hour.
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #15
Certifiable Executive Chef
Site Administrator
I use a different method - no parchment, no stone and no peel.

I spread the dough on a oiled pizza pan (you could use a cookie sheet) - using technique similar to that in the video. As the pizza stretches I add some cornmeal under the dough, lifting the edges to do this. the cornmeal adds texture and helps the dough stay stretched out.

Next I add toppings and bake on the bottom rack in 450 oven. The final step is that when the pizza is fully cooked, I slide the pie off the pan and directly onto the bottom oven rack, close the door and let it cook for another minute. The really browns the bottom of the crust and adds a nice crunch. After a minute slide the pan back onto pan and remove from oven. Cool it on a cookie rack for a minute or two before serving.

This method is unconventional but enables you to make a pizza as good as one that comes out of a much higher temp pizza oven. Most home ovens just don't have the heat needed to make a great pizza. This works well and with no special gear.
Forget love... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #16
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Build your pizza on parchment paper, like this. You can use a baking sheet instead of a peel.
Great video, glad it was posted.
callmaker60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:02 PM   #17
Head Chef
Inside I usually use a pizza pan, and never have an issue with sticking. It has perforations n it , so cornmeal or semolina would be a disaster, the directions just say grease the pan ( which I do). I do rotate the pizza half way through to make sure I get even cooking. Also, at this time, i check for bubbles, if there is a huge one Ill pop it. The dough says cook at 450, I cook at 425, it just works for me. Ive never tried at 500.

Outside, on the grill, I use the stone,peel, corn meal technique. The grill gets some good heat. My grill is big enough to have the stone one side, and free grill on the other. I start the pizza off on the stone, close the lid, and let the magic happen. Once the dough is done and cheese has melted , I slide the pizza over to the grill side for that last minute scorch on the bottom to get that ' grill' flavor.
Thats what works for me.
Ive done directly on the grill before, it worked fine, but I prefer the stone/ grill method better.

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote