"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

These people clearly have an identity crisis.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

A lot of options for flatbread:

Flatbread - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Missing from the list are: lefse (potatoes, flour, salt, milk--Norway)
Kake brod (Sweden)

As well as other Scandinavian flatbreads.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
Greg this is what I do. TNT - Naan
Okay thanks, I've bookmarked it for my next opportunity to try it.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #14
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
These people clearly have an identity crisis.
I love this one, in particular...
Bedford Community Flatbread – Our wood-fired cauldron tomato sauce, organic caramelized onions, organic mushrooms, premium whole milk mozzarella and imported Parmesan cheese baked on organic bread dough with homemade organic garlic oil, sprinkled with our own blend of organic herbs. Large 17.00
Let's see... flatbread with tomato sauce, onions, and mushrooms, topped with mozzarella and parmesan cheese.

Um... sure sounds like a pizza to me.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
In Italia, it is very rare that someone would put cheese and tomato on a flat bread, the most renowned being Foccaccia. It is normally prepared with just sea salt, Evoo and fresh herbs, sage, rosemary or oregano or basil.

Furthermore, it is dipped into Evoo with herbs ... Nothing more ... Just a glass of wine of choice ...
Margi, I sometimes get the feeling that we Americans tend to be more willing to break the rules. Even after several hundred years, we still don't have a fixed national identity when it comes to food. Instead, we borrow from and fuse together the cuisines of the many cultures that make up our country (for better or worse). For example, pizza, to us, has a different meaning than it does to, say, a Neapolitan. Napoli has rigid rules concerning pizza. We have no such thing in the US.

I suspect Italy did the same thing at various points in its history as it found itself with unfamiliar foods being imported from the new world. Tomatoes, for example. Today, they are considered an integral part of Italian cuisine. However, it wasn't that long ago that they were unknown in the Mediterranean.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Are flat breads typically served piping hot?
Are flat breads typically made from a yeast dough?
Old 06-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Thanks Steve, lots of good info.

I should have been more clear when I posed the original question.

I wasn't thinking of a comparison between pizza and pita, naan or chapati. I was picturing a flatbread with toppings as you would order in a restaurant for an appetizer or a meal. I had intended the comparison to be between a topped flatbread and a pizza.

Why is the first image a flatbread and the second a pizza?

...or is it the other way around?
Though pizza crust is technically a flatbread, it is leavened with either baking powder or baking soda and an acid, or with yeast. It is also worked more to develop the gluten, which gives it a chewy texture.

Flatbreads such as tortillas, whether flour or corn, and unleavened, as are many of the others mentioned.

As appetizers go, it boils down to the toppings to be served on the flatbread as to which kind to use. For wet toppings, such as salsa, I would choose somthing like a tortilla that is dense and can hold up to the liquid. For a topping such as cold meat, Meat salads, or cheese and meat, I would choose another uleavend flatbread, such as a pita, or even naan. If I wanted to top with pesto, I would use the leavened flat bread, same with using a simple bruschetta (good and crusty bread slathered with first-pressed olive oil, toasted over fire, and rubbed with fresh garlic).

Think of the textures of the foods going onto the bread, and the textures of teh bread. imagine them in your mouth. Flavor will generally take care of itself, as most flatbreads taste similar, except for corn tortillas, and the yeasty flavor of pizza crust.

And don't forget the frybread category of flatbreads. They can make a wonderful canvas on which to paint a luxurious splash of color and flavor.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Are flat breads typically served piping hot?
Are flat breads typically made from a yeast dough?

Topped flatbreads are typically served hot as you would a pizza.

I have seen leavened and unleavened topped flatbreads.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Given Hannibal et al.'s influence on Spain and Italy it's not surprising to see a commonality between flat breads and some pizzas.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #20
Head Chef

In my opinion, pizza has become something of a generic term for just about any hot, topped flatbread that isn't Mexican (tostada for example). The typical American (really ??) pizza has a chewy/crispy slightly raised dough, although there are certainly many variations on it. Even take-n-bake places like Papa Murphy's have a lot of exotic variations (like the Chicken Bacon Artichoke deLITE) which they still call pizza. Some of their combinations would be on the menu as flatbreads in an upscale sit down restaurant.

Taco Bell even offers a self-styled Mexican pizza (although it tastes about the same as anything else from Taco Bell - How can they sell so many different forms all with the same exact flavor??? All that changes is the texture.)

Tags
pizza