Pizza(low fat), substitute ingredient to cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtotehZ

Assistant Cook
Hello guys,

This is my first post on the forum. I made my account here to ask a question.

I'm trying to cut down on fat in my pizza and thought the best way to do that was to either cut down on the cheese fat. Whether that's done by finding a low fat cheese or cutting cheese and replacing it with a substitute ingredient I don't know.

Do you have any experience with making low fat pizza that tastes as close to normal as possible?

Welcome to DC. Can't help you as IMO, there is no substitute for full fat cheese. There are part skim milk cheeses, but I'm not sure if they are low fat.

it is myth that pizza need cheese. Also some of the "original" pizza dont have cheese. Original pizza marinara doesnt have cheese and there is many other types that dont have cheese.

Why dont you try it?

it is myth that pizza need cheese. Also some of the "original" pizza dont have cheese. Original pizza marinara doesnt have cheese and there is many other types that dont have cheese.

Why dont you try it?

What is and where did that pizza come from?:ermm:

Italy: Pizza is just a piece of left over bread dough, with left over on top and bake and cheese was expensive. So if you have marinara sauce, a tomato sauce made for sailor dont contain fish at all, you topped the bread with that and baked it and top it with basil. Dinner.

Dad friend Julius, used to make this amazing pizza with olive oil, thins slices of onion, aubergine, tomatoes, basil baked. That how his nona made pizza. She only used the cheese she made for new year, weddings and family party in the summer, otherwise she sold it. I remember him talk about how he loved her pizzas, she used other veggies to and sometimes anchovies but never cheese. I miss Julius.

Italy: Pizza is just a piece of left over bread dough, with left over on top and bake and cheese was expensive. So if you have marinara sauce, a tomato sauce made for sailor dont contain fish at all, you topped the bread with that and baked it and top it with basil. Dinner.

Dad friend Julius, used to make this amazing pizza with olive oil, thins slices of onion, aubergine, tomatoes, basil baked. That how his nona made pizza. She only used the cheese she made for new year, weddings and family party in the summer, otherwise she sold it. I remember him talk about how he loved her pizzas, she used other veggies to and sometimes anchovies but never cheese. I miss Julius.

Was there pizza before tomatoes?

That's not pizza - that's flatbread ;)

Yes, pizza exited pre tomatoes , but not as we know it. Pizza means flat bread, 997 AD in Geata Italy, the tenants have to give the bishop duodecim pizze ( 12 pizza) at Christmas. Flat breads are boring and humans always tries to make food more fun, so people used to add stuff on top. Romans did flat breads flavored with herb, vegetable , suet and lot of other weird stuff. Greeks did it too. Persian cooked flat bread with dates and cheese on their shields. In Mediterranean countries, every one has their form of topped flat breads.
But the pizza most people think of came to be 18th or early 19th century, no one is really sure when tomatoes became the done thing. And even then the cheese drenched pizza we think of, didnt really exist until Italians got to USA. That is where the cheese explosion happened. Every country has their own form of pizza now.

So if you love pizza but can try other topped flat bread and see if you like it too.

GotGarlic: Try to say that to Julius and he would scream at you. A very passionate Italian guy.

Pizza is a flatbread, but not all flatbreads are pizza, at least by definition since the late 1800s. Flatbreads are known to have existed since ancient times in Greece, Italy, Egypt, Babylon, entire Middle Eastern area. Italy doesn't have the singular honor of inventing flatbread. What is known as today's pizza was invented in the late 1800s and the first known shop making it shortly after that in Naples.

medtran as I said in my post, but also not all pizza has cheese or tomatoes.

a little bit of fresh grated Parmesan, Gran Padano, or Romano goes a long way....

That would be my solution!

Always focus on keeping the flavor and a small amount of the sinful ingredient or else you will feel deprived! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

For a little extra flavor try adding a couple tablespoons of grated cheese to the flour when you mix up the dough.

Another option would be to cut back on the amount of really, really good pizza and have a gigantic side salad with your slice.

One slice instead of two and the fat calories are cut in half! :LOL:

Good luck!

Last edited:
Gotgarlic: no the word comes from the pitta, then became pizza and that was a flatt bread. Isnt la torta is pie, apple pie is torta di mele but mine Italian is not as good as yours, I am not fluent and it been ages since I used it. I will ask Mino about instead.

Last edited:
Gotgarlic: no the word comes from the pitta, then became pizza and that was a flatt bread. Isnt la torta is pie, apple pie is torta di mele but mine Italian is not as good as yours, I am not fluent and it been ages since I used it. I will ask Mino about instead.
I don't claim to be fluent in Italian (although I studied French and Spanish [both Romance languages like Italian] and Greek & Latin Root Words), but I read a lot and I'm good at research. Pie in English can be many things, sweet or savory (English has different word origins than Romance languages). Torta is a sweet pie. Pizza, as you say, comes from pita, a flatbread that can be translated as pie. You will frequently hear people in the United States refer to pizza as pie but not bread.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bx1Yq-X8E

Last edited:
So all Americans do is right?

But Torta di Tortellini isnt sweet nor is Torta verde al radicchio.

Last edited:
I don't claim to be fluent in Italian (although I studied French and Spanish [both Romance languages like Italian] and Greek & Latin Root Words), but I read a lot and I'm good at research. Pie in English can be many things, sweet or savory (English has different word origins than Romance languages). Torta is a sweet pie. Pizza, as you say, comes from pita, a flatbread that can be translated as pie. You will frequently hear people in the United States refer to pizza as pie but not bread.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bx1Yq-X8E
Sorry, I made a mistake. Torta is an enclosed pie. That's what makes it distinct from flatbread.

Back
Top Bottom