"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2017, 03:57 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Pizza(low fat), substitute ingredient to cheese?

Hello guys,

This is my first post on the forum. I made my account here to ask a question.

I'm trying to cut down on fat in my pizza and thought the best way to do that was to either cut down on the cheese fat. Whether that's done by finding a low fat cheese or cutting cheese and replacing it with a substitute ingredient I don't know.

Do you have any experience with making low fat pizza that tastes as close to normal as possible?

AtotehZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:17 AM   #2
Master Chef

Welcome to DC. Can't help you as IMO, there is no substitute for full fat cheese. There are part skim milk cheeses, but I'm not sure if they are low fat.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:24 AM   #3
Head Chef

it is myth that pizza need cheese. Also some of the "original" pizza dont have cheese. Original pizza marinara doesnt have cheese and there is many other types that dont have cheese.

Why dont you try it?
Old 03-09-2017, 05:37 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
it is myth that pizza need cheese. Also some of the "original" pizza dont have cheese. Original pizza marinara doesnt have cheese and there is many other types that dont have cheese.

Why dont you try it?
What is and where did that pizza come from?
Old 03-09-2017, 05:54 AM   #5
Head Chef

Italy: Pizza is just a piece of left over bread dough, with left over on top and bake and cheese was expensive. So if you have marinara sauce, a tomato sauce made for sailor dont contain fish at all, you topped the bread with that and baked it and top it with basil. Dinner.

Dad friend Julius, used to make this amazing pizza with olive oil, thins slices of onion, aubergine, tomatoes, basil baked. That how his nona made pizza. She only used the cheese she made for new year, weddings and family party in the summer, otherwise she sold it. I remember him talk about how he loved her pizzas, she used other veggies to and sometimes anchovies but never cheese. I miss Julius.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:16 AM   #6
Master Chef

a little bit of fresh grated Parmesan, Gran Padano, or Romano goes a long way....
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:21 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Italy: Pizza is just a piece of left over bread dough, with left over on top and bake and cheese was expensive. So if you have marinara sauce, a tomato sauce made for sailor dont contain fish at all, you topped the bread with that and baked it and top it with basil. Dinner.

Dad friend Julius, used to make this amazing pizza with olive oil, thins slices of onion, aubergine, tomatoes, basil baked. That how his nona made pizza. She only used the cheese she made for new year, weddings and family party in the summer, otherwise she sold it. I remember him talk about how he loved her pizzas, she used other veggies to and sometimes anchovies but never cheese. I miss Julius.
Was there pizza before tomatoes?
Old 03-09-2017, 06:42 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

That's not pizza - that's flatbread
Old 03-09-2017, 06:50 AM   #9
Head Chef

Yes, pizza exited pre tomatoes , but not as we know it. Pizza means flat bread, 997 AD in Geata Italy, the tenants have to give the bishop duodecim pizze ( 12 pizza) at Christmas. Flat breads are boring and humans always tries to make food more fun, so people used to add stuff on top. Romans did flat breads flavored with herb, vegetable , suet and lot of other weird stuff. Greeks did it too. Persian cooked flat bread with dates and cheese on their shields. In Mediterranean countries, every one has their form of topped flat breads.
But the pizza most people think of came to be 18th or early 19th century, no one is really sure when tomatoes became the done thing. And even then the cheese drenched pizza we think of, didnt really exist until Italians got to USA. That is where the cheese explosion happened. Every country has their own form of pizza now.

So if you love pizza but can try other topped flat bread and see if you like it too.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:08 AM   #10
Head Chef

GotGarlic: Try to say that to Julius and he would scream at you. A very passionate Italian guy.

Tags
cheese, fat, pizza, substitute