Pizza on the oven rack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrhodo

Assistant Cook
My husband insists on baking his frozen pizza right on the oven rack without a pan. I think is drips cheese in the oven, which then smokes everytime I use it. He thinks I'm crazy...

Try making an aluminum foil tray to cover the rack beneath the pizza. It will catch the dripping cheese, and limit or even eliminate the smoking.

Put a baking sheet or a sheet of foil on the floor of the oven or another shelf under the pizza shelf to catch any drippings.

Thanks for your answers. I did put foil on the rack below the pizza, but he said the crust didn't get crisp enough. I've preheated pans, nothing satifies him.
I think the only solution is no more frozen pizza's. I'm gluten and dairy intolerant, so I can't eat them. I cook meals almost every night.
I guess he'll just have to have them delivered when he wants one.

As always, you are right and your husband is wrong.

I've tried strips of foil below the pizza in a circumference pattern just to catch any combustible dairy droppings (which works) while allowing more direct, crisping contact, with its bottom.

Half the problem is frozen pizzas. By definition, they will be a bit soggy. The other half of the problem is him. And he'll grow tired of pizzas-delivered-steamed-in-a-box, also soggy. I haven't searched but I'm willing to bet that this DC website has a few simple recipies for gluten+dairy-free pizzas from scratch that'll make both of you happy.

Spring for a pizza stone.

I was thinking that... I think you can make a frozen pizza on a pizza stone. I have never tried it but I would think you would just need to let the stone preheat, the same as you do for fresh, but at the recommend temperature.

Back
Top Bottom