"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-30-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
Cook

Question PIZZA too wet and undercooked! What to do to improve?

What's the secret of baking the restaurant pizza?

OK.... here is the condition:

My dough is good... When I bake a few minutes more than what's call for, the dough starts to get hard and the cheese starts to get burned. When I bake the exact time as what the recipe calls for, the dough is done, but the toppings are NOT well cooked. When I have pizza hut, papajones, dominos, etc... , ALL of these pizzas have well-cooked toppings. The toppings are dry, yet the cheese are not burned but brown in spots. Why is it so? If the toppings are well cooked, how come the dough is not getting tough or hard?

My pizzas taste very good and almost too fresh and raw compare to these pizzas from the restaurants. How come the sauce on my pizza is not dry out yet when the pizza is done already? I know that using drier sauce would help, but are there any other options I can try for the sauce?

Thanks

Old 12-30-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
Executive Chef

8-1/2 minutes at 500 degrees on a preheated pizza stone in the middle of the oven. That's the formula that I've been using for years and it's never failed, no matter what kind of pizza, (except deep dish).

Old 12-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I like to pre-cook my toppings first.

Some, like mushrooms, are full of water. When you cook the pizza, the water seeps out and makes the pizza soggy. The places you mentioned are using canned or otherwise cooked mushrooms, that's why they don't leech water all over the pie. Sauteing them before adding them to the pizza gets rid of the excess water and keeps them from getting mushy on top of the pizza.

Sausage and pepperoni are very high in fat. When they bake, the fat melts and makes the pizza greasy and 'wet'. Place pepperoni between sheets of paper towel and nuke it for a few seconds to remove some of the grease. Fry up bulk sausage or hamburger in a skillet for the same reason.

Pizza ovens are hundreds of degrees hotter than your home oven. That has a lot to do with the quality of the crust. Use the highest temperature your oven can reach, and use a pizza stone if you have one.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
Cook

I see! Thanks
Old 12-31-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post

Some, like mushrooms, are full of water. When you cook the pizza, the water seeps out and makes the pizza soggy. The places you mentioned are using canned or otherwise cooked mushrooms, that's why they don't leech water all over the pie. Sauteing them before adding them to the pizza gets rid of the excess water and keeps them from getting mushy on top of the pizza.

Sausage and pepperoni are very high in fat. When they bake, the fat melts and makes the pizza greasy and 'wet'. Place pepperoni between sheets of paper towel and nuke it for a few seconds to remove some of the grease. Fry up bulk sausage or hamburger in a skillet for the same reason.

Pizza ovens are hundreds of degrees hotter than your home oven. That has a lot to do with the quality of the crust. Use the highest temperature your oven can reach, and use a pizza stone if you have one.
Excellent post!
Old 01-14-2010, 11:18 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post

Good info, so no need to waste effort to make a pizza like the one's of a resturant.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:05 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Sometimes things sound plausible at first, but when you really examine them... well, they just don't hold up, like having to precook pizza ingredients.

Mushrooms, for instance, DO NOT contain a lot of water, at least not enough to make a pizza soggy. Most pizzas I deal with, homemade or Pizzeria, use fresh mushrooms, which are very dry. Only canned mushrooms are wet, and even then there is a layer of cheese and usually some sort of sauce between them and the pizza dough. Besides, the 450-500 degrees of the oven very quickly evaporates whatever moisture they had. No source for sogginess here.

Sausage and pepperoni are high in fat, BUT ounce for ounce, they have only 1/4 the fat content of most cheeses. Pre-sliced pepperoni will hardly release any grease in the short time that it's baking - hardly worth any effort to blot it up before placing on the pizza. Grease is flavor, and whatever you decide about pepperoni or pea-size sausage balls would apply to bacon as well, and I don't know anyone who would ruin a pizza by rendering bacon before baking and have it come out like artificial baco-bits! And again, there is a layer of cheese and sauce between them and the dough. No source for sogginess here either.

Crunchy crust requires 1.) A proven pizza crust recipe 2.) The shortest amount of time between adding toppings and getting it into the hot oven; and 3.) high temp on a stone.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Pre-sliced pepperoni will hardly release any grease in the short time that it's baking
While I agree that there is not much point in pre-cooking your toppings, I do not agree that pre-sliced pepperoni will hardly release any grease. I have seen what seems like swimming pools full of grease come out of pepperoni on pizzas. I have no problem with grease on my pizza so it does not bother me, but I have friends who will blot their pizza, especially when ordering pepperoni for this very reason. The paper towels they use (and often times it takes multiple paper towels for one slice) are soaked in grease when they are done.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:27 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Maybe I've been using cheap pepperoni!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Or maybe you are using the good stuff