"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #1
Cook

Red face Plain baked yam or sweet potato?

I have never fixed anything but canned yams in the traditional holiday dish. For Christmas I want to try just baking some to go with our pork roast. I would like some suggestions/help from the experts on which one to buy and cooking instructions.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
Head Chef

You could roast the yams/sweet potatoes. I do this all the time. Sometimes I use a little cumin and rosemary, sometimes just olive oil and s&p, or just butter.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
Cook

Which one works better for plain baked though? I am looking for something with about the same texture as a regular white potato. I am a virgin when it comes to picking out the spuds. The only time I have purchased them was when I bought one to stick in a glass of water and sit on the window sill when I was a kid.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

A plain baked sweet potato is hard to beat....I use a very thin coat of oil on the skin, and bake at 350* until soft to squeeze. Served with just butter, or sometimes with a drizzle of Cane Syrup.....

Have Fun!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
Head Chef

What UB said. As a kid we used to enjoy a baked sweet potato as a snack. I think the wht sweet potatoes are really nice if you are looking for something with the texture of a white potato.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieV View Post
Which one works better for plain baked though? I am looking for something with about the same texture as a regular white potato. I am a virgin when it comes to picking out the spuds. The only time I have purchased them was when I bought one to stick in a glass of water and sit on the window sill when I was a kid.
Unless you go to a specialty market you will have a hard time finding a true Yam...They are not grown commercially in the US...Pick out ones ( Sweet Potatoes) that are medium size, free of blemishes with a nice shape.

Have Fun!

Old 12-21-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
Cook

My regular store has loose ones that are labeled yams and another group that are labeled Sweet Potato. It is my understanding that the FDA requires anything that is not a real sweet potato to have "yam" on it somewhere on the label. Now I am really confused??????
Old 12-21-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Not sure what your store is doing...Maybe a display of orange colored flesh ones, and another of 'white' flesh ones --- Both are sweet Potatoes....Then again...maybe they have imported True Yams in...Ask questions of your produce personnel. Here is some information.
Knowing where in the World you live would be helpful -----

Old 12-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

More information that may prove helpful.......

Old 12-21-2008, 09:11 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Both are tasty, and I bake 'em oiled, then split and butter. If pressed on the matter, my preference would be red garnet yams. If we're having them at your house...either one will be fine.