Planning your garden?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
actualy raw dog pee is quite Bad for the plants roots directly, it need to be diluted 1:10 IIRC, and certainly Never use Female pee (Human or animal) it contains hormones than can adversly affect plants.

seriously, I aint taking the Pee :)

Going to stick with the 'tried and tested' of previous years. My favourites being broad beans, tomatoes and sweetcorn.

I'd be jealous of your big gardens if it weren't for the fact that I am truly lazy at heart. I have all I can do to keep up with what little I do plant. I am thinking of increasing the size of my tomato bed. I also grow a cuke vine or two and some chard and peppers. This year I've promised myself to be less diverse when it comes to the latter and grow what I know really works best for me. My husband doesn't like green peppers, and I can only eat so many, but giant cayenne dry well, so no of the former, more of the latter. Part of my garden bed area is over an old cistern, so the soil is only a couple of inches deep. That is my lettuce/greens bed that I get at least two crops out of (it could be as many as four if I were less lazy!). It is just he right amount for the two of us plus some to bring in salads for potlucks. I always grow a mixed blend. It is funny how different gardening has been in different places I've lived. In Florida I grew a lot of brocolli and onions, neither of which seem to do all that well here (like I said, I learn my lessons and just don't grow what doesn't work well). In Florida and Hawaii, tomatoes didn't do all that well (birds, fungus, etc, would get them before I could). FLorida can get too hot for lettuce. So, different strokes.

Well last I planted my first garden and I was soooo excited. However that eventually turned to dismay. I just didn't have the time to truely devote to it so ultimately ripped it all out. This year I'll have to add more top soil and reseed the area. No biggie had to reseed anyway since DH dug a trench through the back yard to lay the electrical supply under the ground to the garage.

Now I do plan on really focusing more on the landscaping though. This will be our second year here and that first year I did more of a cosmetic coverup for areas so this year I'll get down to the nitty gritty.

I'm going to make adjustments to my herb garden. I pulled the basil plants in the fall because they just took over. Hopefully, I'll get lucky and won't have starts coming up all over the place. I plan to replant that particular plant in a container.

So ultimately when it comes to my veggies I'll be hitting the farmers market more often.

I just wished Spring would hurry up and get here and this ground would dry up enough to actually get out there and get started on some things.

my garden....

I do mostly chile peppers, tomatoes, and herbs. Once in awhile i will do squash but so far this is my list:
Chile Peppers:
Pablano
Thai Hot
Cayenne
White Habanero
Carribean Red Habanero
Orange Habanero
Chocolate Habaneros
New Mexican peppers
Pasilla
Casabel
Cherry Peppers
Jalapeno
Serano
Fatalli
Tepin (if i get lucky and they germinate....very very hard seed to germinate).
Yellow, Red, & Orange Sweet Bells
Tabasco

Tomatoes:
Kellogs Breakfast
Brandywine Suddith
Olpka
German Head
Silver Fur Tree
Sungold
Black Cherry
Cherokee Purple
JetStar

Herbs:
Chives
Garlic Chives
Sage
Thyme
Thai Basil
Genovese Basil (here goes the fight with the japanese beatles again. My area is covered with them and they only thing the like is my basil).
Rosemary
Greek Oregano
Mexican Oregano

Other stuff i might grow this year:
Strawberries
BlueBerries.

That is an impressive collection of chilis and tomatoes! I'm not sure we could get through that many. Do you grow to sell?

yeah Tepin does take a Long time to start off, a good Month, AND it needs to be in Very Warm conditions and started early, although it IS a perenial! so treated well you`ll not have to start them off too often :)

Snoop Puss said:
That is an impressive collection of chilis and tomatoes! I'm not sure we could get through that many. Do you grow to sell?

Thank you. Actually no i don't sell anything. I do so much stuff with the things in my garden though. For the hot chile peppers. I smoke them, dry them, make exotic hot sauce, make chile powder, pickle, chile oil, chile vinegar, jerk rub, ect...

I actually forgot a few things in my list ;) like for chile i forgot chile de arbol & Rocoto.

Ncage

YT2095 said:
yeah Tepin does take a Long time to start off, a good Month, AND it needs to be in Very Warm conditions and started early, although it IS a perenial! so treated well you`ll not have to start them off too often :)

Yes they are but in my area they die because of winter unless you bring them inside. I just have not bothered with that yet well because first of all most of my stuff is in the garden and not in pots and i tried to bring a rocoto in one year and had major problems keeping it alive. For example i had to treat and retreat to get rid of the aphid problem the plant had.

Ncage

I get the aphids and the spider mite on my chilis too :(
and also my Tepins die too (UKer here).

Naga Jolokia would be a Nice one to add your collection also, I grow them along with White Hadaneros and also cross polinate deliberately, although much happens by accident also, It`s nice to encounter another Chili Grower/enthusiast :)

Back
Top Bottom