"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

There is certainly no rule about what you can eat when. There are recommendations based on how the body uses food, but definitely there are no rules--you can have eggs for supper and steak for breakfast. I tend to eat when I'm hungry, not according to rules. I work nights, so I eat lunch at 9:00 a.m. I eat my "big" meal at noon, but I don't go to bed in the afternoon, so I eat something light in the evening--homemade soup, fruit, cottage cheese, or veggies. The green beans tossed with masala or curry is one of my favorite evening snacks. I find eating protein in the morning keeps me going longer than if I eat carbohydrates. My DH, however, is more a carbohydrate person--he has toast every morning for breakfast. Sometimes I'll have steak for breakfast. I love a hard boiled FRESH egg as a snack--that is probably my favorite snack. When trying to eat healthier, you want to watch out for hidden sugar and sodium. Instead of ketchup, for example, you can use tomato paste to which you've added some water--ketchup has a lot of sugar in it. To store the unused tomato paste, you can put it in an ice cube tray and then store the cubes in a ziplock bag in the freezer.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Cut out the processed foods, looks like you have managed that fairly well. Buy some tortillas, you didn't mention if you have any herbs and spices.

Making tacos is really easy, if you have the spices for it. You already have the rest except for the tortillas.
Yeah I mean but those are snack based items. I'm looking for something a little more..dinner appropriate I guess. Like a healthy, appetizing dinner course. But I do occasionally make Taco's for lunch once a week.!

Old 10-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I think what PF meant was that wraps can cut some calories out if you use them in place of bread.

I think it is helpful to figure out what it is you like to eat--what do you order when you go to a restaurant (I order things I don't make at home or something I want to try and then maybe make it at home), what were your favorite foods growing up (my grandma's Swedish meatballs), what types of food do you like--Thai, Italian, etc.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I think what PF meant was that wraps can cut some calories out if you use them in place of bread.

I think it is helpful to figure out what it is you like to eat--what do you order when you go to a restaurant (I order things I don't make at home or something I want to try and then maybe make it at home), what were your favorite foods growing up (my grandma's Swedish meatballs), what types of food do you like--Thai, Italian, etc.
Oh ok. Well I use Whole-Grain bread for most of my meals. Is that the best kind? Also, when I go out to Restaurants I typically order...Buffalo Wings, appetizing burgers, Steak, Appetizers. I can only wish that one day I will be able to make food as good...Highly doubt it though.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds to me like you are a protein person <g>. It depends on the sodium, etc. content in the whole-wheat bread, but yes, it is usually better than eating white bread.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Actually, I did mean tacos, but the wrap idea is good, too. Corn Tortillas ARE whole grain and tacos can be the beginning of a very healthy meal with some refries and a salad.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Sounds to me like you are a protein person <g>. It depends on the sodium, etc. content in the whole-wheat bread, but yes, it is usually better than eating white bread.
Thanks for clarifying. And yes, I guess it appears I am but.. I just don't know how to explain it. I just want to learn how to be capable of eating purely and strictly healthy to avoid any future potential diseases and just so I can stay healthy and live long. That's how I want to eat. I want to eat healthy, tasty food but honestly I feel so stumped. I also have trouble following Recipe's sometimes.. Most of the time they mention strange ingredients I never heard of, and I typically don't even have them so.. It's just a pain.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

A lot of times, you can substitute things. What kinds of ingredients do you find odd/something you've never heard of?
Old 10-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

You can make "buffalo wing inspired" chicken strips using a boned, skinless chicken breast that you cut into strips and bake in the oven. You can take 1/2 of the ground beef and add beans to the meat before you make it into a burger. This will give you more fiber. I would suggest buying dry beans and soaking them, cooking them, and then freeze them so you have them on the ready when you want to use them. Instead of relish, ketchup, mustard on your burger, use lettuce, tomato, and cucumber. You can omit the bottom bun to cut out the amount of bread you eat. You can grill the steak, eat 1/2 of it, and save the rest to make a steak-sandwich using a wrap or warm up the leftover, slice into strips, and put those on a tossed salad. There are all kinds of things you can do with the food you have and to put on your grocery list for next week. So what did you eat tonight? Are you prepping food for just yourself? You might consider buying food for 2-3 days. Living alone often means produce gets tossed out because desire to eat healthy often doesn't translate to motivation to eat what you buy before it reaches its "best by date," especially with fresh produce.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:29 AM   #20
Head Chef

JMHO- you could check into"Whole Food Eating", the "Food pyramid", either USA or Mediterranean. Plan your meals (with food you like) using the "Food Plate Guide". Once you get an idea on what you will be cooking and what you need to buy, then you can start looking for recipes. I hope this helps.

Attachment 12191
Attachment 12192
Attachment 12193

Tags
dinner