"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #21
Assistant Cook

Cool

That is a super tasting spoon. I have made the same mstake that you have here many a time. You can add all sorts of things to the mix to try and compensate, but really - your best option is to just start over and combine the two, or find another use for your sauce.

Don't chalk it up as a failure, just learn from it. :)

Old 12-22-2009, 11:22 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

[QUOTE=jennyema;866634]Potatoes doen't work. They just absorb liquid, they don't reduce the concentration of salt or heat.

As I clearly said in my post, I have often used potatoes to successfully absorb the salt and or spices from over salted food as they absorb liquid. Salt is attracted to the starch in the potato, I've been told. Whatever the process, it definitely works for me.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:41 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackibar View Post
.....Is there some way to know if peppers are the sweet kind or the hot kind.....
I can think of at least one which is totally reliable!!
Old 12-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_ View Post
I can think of at least one which is totally reliable!!
You joke, but that actually is the best way. Different peppers can have vastly different heat levels. Even peppers from the same plant can have very different levels. I have pulled peppers off a plant and they were as mild as a bell pepper and then I pull the very next pepper off the plant and it burned my mouth so bad I had tears streaming down my face. The only real way to know how hot a pepper will be is to taste it. Because of this, when it matters I always slice a little piece off to taste so I know what I am dealing with.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
You joke, but that actually is the best way. Different peppers can have vastly different heat levels. Even peppers from the same plant can have very different levels. I have pulled peppers off a plant and they were as mild as a bell pepper and then I pull the very next pepper off the plant and it burned my mouth so bad I had tears streaming down my face. The only real way to know how hot a pepper will be is to taste it. Because of this, when it matters I always slice a little piece off to taste so I know what I am dealing with.
I remember watching an episode of Iron Chef and the secret ingredient was chile peppers. A chef from Texas picked Morimoto to compete against. Morimoto was not familiar with most of the peppers (the ones not used in asian cuisine), so he had to taste them before putting them in his dishes.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:00 AM   #26
Assistant Cook

I made chili that came out way too spicy once and I read that you can add peanut butter to act as an emulsifier and tame down the heat. I tried it and it seemed to work, changed the taste a little but it was actually good. :)