"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Exclamation Please Help! Hot Peppers in Spaghetti WAY too Hot!

Hi,

I made some awesome spaghetti yesterday and had some home-grown peppers a friend gave me that I *thought* were sweet peppers - only to find out AFTER putting them in the pot that they're HOT. I only put TWO peppers in there and they're those little kind. But it's so hot my husband won't eat it

Is there ANY way to take the "heat" out of this batch of spaghetti? Anything I can add to help it out somehow?! I thought about adding some cream of mushroom soup... or brown sugar... ??

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

- Jacki

Old 12-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

I use a peeled raw potato to remove excess salt or excess spices from spaghetti sauce and it works very well. I'd give it a try to see if this method would absorb the excess hot pepper from your sauce. I can't promise it will work, but this will not ruin the sauce. Just simmer the sauce until the potato (or potatoes) get soft.
Good luck!

Old 12-17-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Head Chef

In my opinon the only way to fix it is to make more spaghetti and add it and add more sauce (use tomato sauce, herbs etc.).

You can always freeze it and use the extra's some other day.

Again I don't think there are quick fixes. The only thing that helps combat spice is some tartness but I don't think even that works all the time.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
Master Chef

dairy products do help....

Or divide it in more parts and make a "new" sauce with the hot as a base
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbler View Post
I use a peeled raw potato to remove excess salt or excess spices from spaghetti sauce and it works very well. I'd give it a try to see if this method would absorb the excess hot pepper from your sauce. I can't promise it will work, but this will not ruin the sauce. Just simmer the sauce until the potato (or potatoes) get soft.
Good luck!
Potatoes doen't work. They just absorb liquid, they don't reduce the concentration of salt or heat.

Make up a batch of spaghetti and combine the two.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Head Chef

Potatoes.. I won't even go there... earned me an infraction, it did.

Add some beans and cumin and call it chili?

I believe that all you can do is dilute it by making more.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thanks so much for the responses and suggestions! To clarify further - I didn't mention that I mixed the noodles all in the same pot as the spaghetti sauce - as well as kidney beans. I'm not sure if I could divide some out since the noodles are already mixed in... ? I guess I could try the adding more sauce suggestion to at least dilute it a little, but my husband is now concerned about wasting any more jars of sauce on this pot in case it doesn't work well. Oh, and I did try to pick out the peppers I could find(!) - but I'm sure enough of whatever's in them has already cooked out into the sauce itself. Boy, did I learn a lesson about peppers!! Is there some way to know if peppers are the sweet kind or the hot kind? These looked exactly like some sweet peppers I got a while back!
Old 12-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Lot's of parm. cheese on top will help!

Along with sucking it up, and having a glass of milk beside his plate.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
Add some beans and cumin and call it chili?.
That's a great idea, actually. Spaghetti is a common addition to chili in some parts of the world.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Potatoes doen't work. They just absorb liquid, they don't reduce the concentration of salt or heat.

Make up a batch of spaghetti and combine the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babbler View Post
Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
Potatoes.. I won't even go there... earned me an infraction, it did.

Add some beans and cumin and call it chili?

I believe that all you can do is dilute it by making more.
Potatoes don't workinthe way that people have been taught that they work but they do work. If you add something bland to something that has too much spice it spreads the spice out. Potatoes do not absorb water, they already have enough. They may exchange juices with liquids around them (thus a potato turning red in a nice spagetti sauce) but the key word is exchange. The potato will give up the same amount of liquid that it absorbed. If you boil a potato and then puree it and then add it to something it will spread its inherent blandness and help counteract the spice. All of the starch foods will do this (note I said starch foods, not starches). Any semi-bland liquid will have the same effect. Water, yogurt, sour cream, broth...