Please Help! Hot Peppers in Spaghetti WAY too Hot!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackibar

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I made some awesome spaghetti yesterday and had some home-grown peppers a friend gave me that I *thought* were sweet peppers - only to find out AFTER putting them in the pot that they're HOT. I only put TWO peppers in there and they're those little kind. But it's so hot my husband won't eat it :wacko:

Is there ANY way to take the "heat" out of this batch of spaghetti? Anything I can add to help it out somehow?! I thought about adding some cream of mushroom soup... or brown sugar... ??

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

- Jacki

I use a peeled raw potato to remove excess salt or excess spices from spaghetti sauce and it works very well. I'd give it a try to see if this method would absorb the excess hot pepper from your sauce. I can't promise it will work, but this will not ruin the sauce. Just simmer the sauce until the potato (or potatoes) get soft.
Good luck!

In my opinon the only way to fix it is to make more spaghetti and add it and add more sauce (use tomato sauce, herbs etc.).

You can always freeze it and use the extra's some other day.

Again I don't think there are quick fixes. The only thing that helps combat spice is some tartness but I don't think even that works all the time.

I use a peeled raw potato to remove excess salt or excess spices from spaghetti sauce and it works very well. I'd give it a try to see if this method would absorb the excess hot pepper from your sauce. I can't promise it will work, but this will not ruin the sauce. Just simmer the sauce until the potato (or potatoes) get soft.
Good luck!

Potatoes doen't work. They just absorb liquid, they don't reduce the concentration of salt or heat.

Make up a batch of spaghetti and combine the two.

Potatoes.. I won't even go there... earned me an infraction, it did.

Add some beans and cumin and call it chili?

I believe that all you can do is dilute it by making more.

Thanks so much for the responses and suggestions! To clarify further - I didn't mention that I mixed the noodles all in the same pot as the spaghetti sauce - as well as kidney beans. I'm not sure if I could divide some out since the noodles are already mixed in... ? I guess I could try the adding more sauce suggestion to at least dilute it a little, but my husband is now concerned about wasting any more jars of sauce on this pot in case it doesn't work well. Oh, and I did try to pick out the peppers I could find(!) - but I'm sure enough of whatever's in them has already cooked out into the sauce itself. Boy, did I learn a lesson about peppers!! Is there some way to know if peppers are the sweet kind or the hot kind? These looked exactly like some sweet peppers I got a while back!

Lot's of parm. cheese on top will help!

Along with sucking it up, and having a glass of milk beside his plate.

Potatoes doen't work. They just absorb liquid, they don't reduce the concentration of salt or heat.

Make up a batch of spaghetti and combine the two.

Good luck!

Potatoes.. I won't even go there... earned me an infraction, it did.

Add some beans and cumin and call it chili?

I believe that all you can do is dilute it by making more.

Potatoes don't workinthe way that people have been taught that they work but they do work. If you add something bland to something that has too much spice it spreads the spice out. Potatoes do not absorb water, they already have enough. They may exchange juices with liquids around them (thus a potato turning red in a nice spagetti sauce) but the key word is exchange. The potato will give up the same amount of liquid that it absorbed. If you boil a potato and then puree it and then add it to something it will spread its inherent blandness and help counteract the spice. All of the starch foods will do this (note I said starch foods, not starches). Any semi-bland liquid will have the same effect. Water, yogurt, sour cream, broth...

I have a suggestion, but it's only for the future, and I'm not saying it to be mean, but perhaps, as you add herbs and spices from now on, you need add only a moderate amount at a time and to taste as you go, so nothing gets over-spiced. I know it doesn't help you now, but is something to perhaps become part of your kitchen routine. I even do it for recipes, because my taste may be different than the author's.

I have a suggestion, but it's only for the future, and I'm not saying it to be mean, but perhaps, as you add herbs and spices from now on, you need add only a moderate amount at a time and to taste as you go, so nothing gets over-spiced. I know it doesn't help you now, but is something to perhaps become part of your kitchen routine. I even do it for recipes, because my taste may be different than the author's.

Trust me, I will!! The problem this time was that I *thought* I had "sweet peppers" which I've used many times with no problems. But they turned out to be "hot peppers" - and even only using 2 tiny ones it was way too much... :(

They say that peppers with a dimple at the end are not as hot as peppers with a pointed end. I've eaten alot of peppers and really haven't paid attention, but I like em hot! This is a well know fact, I just can't confirm it!

Dairy tames heat so adding dairy in any form will help. The problem is that will change the flavor of the original dish. If that is not an issue then go for it. If you are looking to retain the original flavor you were going for then take Yakuta's advice about making a second batch without the peppers and combine the two.

Sugar will help remove heat very effectively. Chillis are measured in Scovillles which is hte amount of sugar water required ot neutralize them. Thus sugar neutralizes heat. So does dairy as stated above. Cucumber and peanuts also work, although they wouldnt taste great with Spag Bol.

I like the Chilli con Carne idea most of all.

Get and use a tasting spoon from Fantes-
5352utensils.jpg

Back
Top Bottom