"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #11
Senior Cook
Looks like tripe to me too. I really like tripe but don't see it much these days.

acerbicacid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
Wine Guy
Tripe is actually a fairly common ingredient in Pho - or at least in Vietnam it is. Probably less common here.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #13
Assistant Cook
This is tripe and it can be very tasty if you cook soup with garlic and onion, also you can make a tomato stew with tripe strips.
Low carb diets
Marrie Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
On Saturday, the Italian restaurants here make tripe in pasta sauce. Or they make a soup base with it. You have to get there early. It sells out very quickly. Almost consider it your breakfast. Because it is gone by 10 a.m. A major Italian dish. It is plentiful in this area. And you can buy it in any Italian store that has a butcher.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Blue Butterfly View Post
It all depends how it is prepared. If it is not cooked correctly it is really tough and tasteless. I usually cook it slowly in a curry sauce
I didn't know you eat tripe!? You got one on me, think I'll stick to my livers and black pudding
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #16
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Tripe is actually a fairly common ingredient in Pho - or at least in Vietnam it is. Probably less common here.
Most of the Pho places I've been to in Washington state offered tripe (as well as tendon and occasionally other more exotic options). I haven't seen it at any outside of Washington state, probably because there's a decent-size Vietnamese population in Washington.

Random Mistakes: The fatty bits you found in your bowl may have been fatty flank. It's another common one out there. I can't be sure, but it also looks like there may be bits of tendon in there, too. That was a common combo at a lot of the places back in WA; fatty flank, tendon and tripe. I've tried it but I personally prefer my rare beef or meatball. :)
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
We have a pho restaurant that has options for tripe, tendon, and other ingredients in the soup. I, too, stick to the rare beef lol

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote