"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
Cook

Please help with Avocado

I know how to cut Avocado.

It's in fact very easy,and it's very tasty!

Very foolishly I put a lot of avocado in the refrigerator and then I found that the cold avocado became so difficult to cut into pieces and very sticky to its shell.

I tried putting the avocado in hot water for hours but it didn't help. I also left the cold avocado in room temperature for a few days but it's still so hard to cut.

It looks like to me that the texture of avocado, once it's first cooled, would be permanently hardened and couldn't turn the clock back. It also tastes bad

What I can do now to the cold avocado in my refrigerator

Anyway to rescue all these cold avocado??

Old 12-05-2016, 12:16 PM   #2
Executive Chef

If it's hard and doesn't taste good, I'd say it's not ripe. Avos don't harden up once they start to ripen and soften, even if they are refrigerated. Even if you freeze a ripe avo, it still won't get rock hard.

You can try taking them out of the fridge and putting them in a paper bag with a tomato and see if they'll ripen.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
Head Chef

And once you get it ripe enough to cut in half, some lemon juice over the top will keep it from turning brown so quickly when you go to store it in the fridge.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:04 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Please help with Avocado

I watched Giada put her avocados in the fridge to firm them up a bit so she could score them and scoop the chunks out more easily, but hers were ripe.

I agree, yours were probably not ripe if they were that firm. If you don't have a tomato, an apple or a banana in a paper bag out of the fridge with the avos might help ripen them.

Good luck!
Old 12-05-2016, 04:23 PM   #5
Master Chef

It's better to let an avocado ripen until almost ready before putting it into the refrigerator. I'll pick up a half dozen of them when Aldi has them for 49 cents each, let them almost ripen, then refrigerate. It will ripen a tiny bit more in the fridge, but not so much that it becomes unusable. Well, unless it rolls to the back of the bin and gets lost. :

If I need to store half an avo, I'll save the half with the pit, skin on, remove the pit, put a generous amount of lemon juice all over the flesh, then start to wrap it in plastic wrap. When I get to the middle of the flat side, I put the pit back into its hole on top of the plastic. It seems like this makes an even better seal of wrap-to-flesh that keeps it from turning too much.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #6
Master Chef

You know how to cut one but you probably need to know more about when you should eat it. As in how ripe.

When you choose the avocados you buy, do you give them a look for color and a gentle squeeze for softness?

They don't get hard in the fridge except for what Dawg said, to firm up some ripe slices or chunks.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:51 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Take the rest of the avocados out of the refrigerator and always let them ripen at room temp. Then they can be refrigerated for a couple days. It takes some practice to know when they are not under or over ripe.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:43 AM   #8
Cook

Thanks all above, yeah! I finally get to know that it was not ripe, I waited for a few days and it was very nice and tasty1!!!!

Tags
avocado