Poll - Got mustard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mustard review | how many jars in yer fridge?

• No mustard in my fridge!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 container

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • 2 or 3 containers, a little mustard variety is a good thing

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • 4 - 10 mustard containers. They just keep showing up...

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • 11 - 25 mustard containers. Yup, I may have a problem.

• More than 25. Hi my name is ___ and I am a mustard junkie.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dang, I should have voted 4-10, forgot about the black and yellow seeds.

I didn't count dry because it isn't in the fridge. If I count them then I change my answer from 3 to 6.

I also didn't count dry and frankly if I did it would put me up into the I have a problem category. I would have to add:

Colemans mustard powder ( 2 cans, although one is almost empty... )
Yellow seeds
black seeds

That would bring my total up to 13 :ermm:

I have seven mustards in the fridge, plus yellow dry ground and seeds in the cabinet. I threw out - and didn't count - a jar of Gulden's that said "best if used by XXX, 2007" :ermm: :LOL:

- yellow ballpark off-brand
- Grey Poupon Harvest Coarse Ground
- Horrock's Roasted Garlic (came in a Christmas gift basket)
- homemade jalapeno
- Spicy Brown
- Dijon
- Horseradish

I have seven mustards in the fridge, plus yellow dry ground and seeds in the cabinet. I threw out - and didn't count - a jar of Gulden's that said "best if used by XXX, 2007" :ermm: :LOL:

- yellow ballpark off-brand
- Grey Poupon Harvest Coarse Ground
- Horrock's Roasted Garlic (came in a Christmas gift basket)
- homemade jalapeno
- Spicy Brown
- Dijon
- Horseradish

Wow, that jar must have had its own zip code before getting tossed!:ROFLMAO: Darn pesky expiration dates.

We have

1 store brand yellow, usually use it in recipes, but that's it.

1 spicy brown Koop's

1 dry mustard in the cabinet, brand unknown, it was from Savory Spice Shop.

Rob is the mustard lover. He will pick up different flavors of brown or whole grain to take to work, he had some with bacon that he really liked.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Last edited:
By its very nature, mustard has vinegar in it. A natural preservative. So how could it possibly go bad? No matter what date the manufacturer puts on it. That is just a ploy to sell you more. :angel:

From a sealed container? Not for a long, long time. Maybe if there is just a dab left in the bottom of a jar or bottle it can dry out just with the trapped air, but not if there is any significant percentage of the original contents left.

We're talking about an eight-year-old jar of mustard here. I opened the jar and what little was in there looked a bit crusty. I wasn't worried about it being spoiled. I just decided I didn't want it anymore and tossed it in the recycling bin.

Last year some Facebook friends got into counting vinegars and I found an old bottle of malt vinegar with just a little residue on the bottom. I didn't count that one ;) So yes, it takes a while, but it happens.

We're talking about an eight-year-old jar of mustard here. I opened the jar and what little was in there looked a bit crusty. I wasn't worried about it being spoiled. I just decided I didn't want it anymore and tossed it in the recycling bin.

Last year some Facebook friends got into counting vinegars and I found an old bottle of malt vinegar with just a little residue on the bottom. I didn't count that one ;) So yes, it takes a while, but it happens.

Powdered vinegar can be purchased. I would suspect that just like many acids, once the water evaporates, you have a powder residue of what makes vinegar, vinegar. So yep, I'm in the camp that thinks mustard can dry out. I wonder if you can purchase powdered mustard from what was once prepared mustard, you know, with the dried vinegar as well as the ground mustard seed. For campers, backpackers, and food storage fans, it would be a great, lightweight way to carry a tasty condiment. Just add a little water.

I would even think that prepared mustard could be freeze-dried.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom