Popcorn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodgiver

Senior Cook
I really have a problem in making good crispy popcorn. It seems that no matter what kind I buy it ends up being tough. What am I doing wrong. I have popped it everyway possible and still the same thing. I like to use melted butter on mine. When is a good time to put it on maybe that is what is wrong. Please help me.:( :( :( :(

Melted butter will always make your popcorn soggy because there is water in it. Try using clarified butter. Clarified butter is water free so it will not make your popcorn soggy.

popcorn

GB said:
Melted butter will always make your popcorn soggy because there is water in it. Try using clarified butter. Clarified butter is water free so it will not make your popcorn soggy.
Now that makes sense. Never thought of butter having water in it. Will surely try it next time I make it. Thanks ever so much.

goodgiver said:
I really have a problem in making good crispy popcorn. It seems that no matter what kind I buy it ends up being tough. What am I doing wrong. I have popped it everyway possible and still the same thing. I like to use melted butter on mine. When is a good time to put it on maybe that is what is wrong. Please help me.:( :( :( :(
Goodgiver,
popcorn that is old will be tough and chewy..Try to find one with an expiration date on it and you should get a light crispy kernal when popped. I've found that a good popcorn won't get soggy with butter, but the ones you put in the microwave do.
kadesma:)

Just out of curiosity, would cooking popcorn with hot oil cover the kernels in a way that would stop the water in butter from causing a tougher popcorn? I would guess no because it's not completely covered in butter.. Just wondering..

I'm always for finding the best way to acheive quality popcorn!
-Brad

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom