Popcorn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldrustycars

Senior Cook
I love making popcorn. I make it in a large stockpot, using coconut oil. I've been trying many different brands, cooking them the same way, and always using real butter and popcorn salt. A team of experts (my daughter and her college friends) have concluded that 1: I have ruined microwave or hot air popcorn for them; and 2: Orville Redenbachers is the best.

I discovered stovetop popcorn awhile ago too. Beats the microwave version hands down!

I got some Amish kernals from a local grocer, Maiden or something like that, really good.

Last edited:
We, too, love stovetop popcorn. However, we use and have used for years a device called a Whirly Pop. It's an awesome gadget and we never have any unpopped kernels. We also use coconut oil, which makes the popcorn taste great.

As for the type of popcorn, we purchase our popcorn at an area Amish market. Our favorite is something called Ladyfinger. It's tiny, tiny kernels and almost hull-less. With butter and salt on it, it's nothing short of popcorn heaven.

Aw, boo! Now I want some popcorn!!!!:ohmy::rolleyes:

I concur with your daughter and her friends. Pan popped popcorn is awesome. You can also add various seasonings to the oil as the popcorn cooks such as garlic for savory flavors or cinnamon for sweet flavors. I lightly coats the popcorn as it cooks.

I always make it on the stovetop, and Orville Redenbacher is my favorite, also.

As for the type of popcorn, we purchase our popcorn at an area Amish market. Our favorite is something called Ladyfinger. It's tiny, tiny kernels and almost hull-less. With butter and salt on it, it's nothing short of popcorn heaven.

Aw, boo! Now I want some popcorn!!!!:ohmy::rolleyes:

Yes, Ladyfinger! That's it! Thanks Katie!

I guess I'll show my age when I get a giggle about ''discovering'' pan popped popcorn. LOL

But an affectionate giggle.

I'm a stove top popper!

I use an old worn out heavy aluminum pan that started it's life as a pressure cooker, it's the pan my Mother used and it reminds me of old times. When I croak they can toss it out! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Once a year, in the winter, I make a pan of popcorn with bacon grease instead of oil for old times sake!

I am a popcorn fanatic. I cook mine in microwave using the Nordiware popper, it's awesome! Even if you leave it in a little too long it won't burn. It's perfectly vented to keep the popcorn from getting chewy or soggy. That's the thing I didn't like about stove top cooking, getting the venting right for crisp, tender popcorn. When I did pop on the stove using a wok and foil poked with holes like Alton Brown.

I've gotten a lot of people hooked on using coconut oil, I won't use anything else anymore. I use penzys fine sea salt right in with the oil and popcorn. I really like our store brand popcorn, it's about a third the price of Orville. I may try Orville again, the club store has a good price on it.

I concur with your daughter and her friends. Pan popped popcorn is awesome. You can also add various seasonings to the oil as the popcorn cooks such as garlic for savory flavors or cinnamon for sweet flavors. I lightly coats the popcorn as it cooks.
You live and learn - I didn't know you could make popcorn in the m/wave.

The first time I made popcorn in a pan I took the lid off while it was popping. It was all over the kitchen! :huh:

Don't ask me why I did it. Lapse of concentration is my only excuse!

I am a popcorn fanatic. I cook mine in microwave using the Nordiware popper, it's awesome! Even if you leave it in a little too long it won't burn. It's perfectly vented to keep the popcorn from getting chewy or soggy. That's the thing I didn't like about stove top cooking, getting the venting right for crisp, tender popcorn. When I did pop on the stove using a wok and foil poked with holes like Alton Brown.

I've gotten a lot of people hooked on using coconut oil, I won't use anything else anymore. I use penzys fine sea salt right in with the oil and popcorn. I really like our store brand popcorn, it's about a third the price of Orville. I may try Orville again, the club store has a good price on it.

When doing it on the stovetop, leave the lid slightly ajar - that will keep the popcorn from getting too moist. I do that all the time, and I always have dry, crispy popcorn. I hesitated for years to buy Orville, since it was so expensive, but after trying many other brands, Orville won out by far.

Ii never had a problem with my popcorn getting moist. I always use the same pot though, so maybe the lid is loose enough.

The lid I had at the time had a lip around the glass edge where the metal rim was that collected steam, so even when I tipped the lid for venting it would drip. I moved to the stir-fry, wok style pan with foil and holes poked in it, that worked really well for tender crisp popcorn. Now that I have this popper, it's all that I use, I really love it. I was surprised how effective it was being so simple.

31Z16P95YJL.jpg

I prefer stove-popped popcorn. I use coconut oil and top with some nutritional yeast to get that "cheesy" taste without the calories parm. adds.

I had some popcorn a few days ago. The hardware store has a machine for it's customers, free for the taking. It tasted just like I remember, when it was a big deal to get popcorn at Masons, GC Murphy, Kmart... That's been my extent of having popcorn for the past several years. Back when I made it, it was always Orville's though. But microwave has certainly come a long way from 15 years ago and that's what I usually pick up when I have a taste for popcorn. It would take me five years to use up a jar of OR's, maybe longer.

Back
Top Bottom