"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 03-26-2009, 09:22 AM   #11
Executive Chef
UB ~ did your CI come with a lid or do you use a lid from another pot? I'm really curious about this thread and it takes me back to when we had the patience to actually wait more than 2.5 minutes for popcorn.

Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:47 AM   #12
Head Chef
Oil... are you kidding.. Bacon grease!!!! Now that's popcorn!!

Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #13
Senior Cook
I use a 6 quart stainless steel stock pot. Use enough oil to cover the bottom, drop in one kernal. when it pops, add enough corn to cover the bottom. I use oven mitts and sorta bat the pot back and forth, this also shakes the lid around to let steam out. shut off the heat when popping slows, and pour it into a bowl before it stops completely, you'll never pop every kernal. I use Morton popcorn salt and melt real butter. Redenbackers is the only popcorn I buy, and I keep it in the fridge, it can go stale.
You can add about a half cup of sugar in the beginning to make kettle corn.
Hot air poppers or microwave popcorn are forbidden in my house.
oldrustycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #14
Head Chef
I use an Orville Redenbacher Presto Pop in the microwave. It is a plastic bowl that uses small disposable cups in the bottom. Popcorn is nice and crunchy, and you can use bacon grease, corn oil, olive oil, etc, or you can pop it dry.

Popcorn is a major food group in my house. I like microwaved better than pan popped, because it is crunchier.
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #15
Sous Chef
I like to use a heavy pressure cooker pot. I add oil and a couple kennels of popcorn. Cover pot with a wash cloth or folded up kitchen towel, be careful to watch the towel. After the kernels pop, I add more popcorn, cover pot with wash cloth and slide the pot back and forth on burner. Then remove from heat when popping slows down.

The towel or wash cloth really helps to keep the popcorn crisp by letting out steam. I also have been finding that Jolly Time 100% Organic Popcorn has been better for crispier popcorn. I come from a family of popcorn eaters and my family has been doing the wash cloth trick for years.

Family Camping Chat
Ol-blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #16
I've been popping corn since I was 8. 34 years later, I still enjoy popping and eating it. I don't find much difference whether I put in the oil or corn first, heat the oil and pop a kernel first, it all basically turns out the same. Although, I normally add the corn and the coat with oil, so I have better control. I pop with a 20 year old 2qt Magnalite sauce pot. It's the only thing this pot is used for, and if you saw it you would see why. Although I will use other brands, Redenbacker is best. I season a variety of ways. One of my favorites: Add butter, mix, then add the powdered cheese mix from Mac & Cheese with a little salt. Excellent cheese popcorn. My norm is a mixture of salt, garlic powder, parm cheese, & McCormicks Chicken Seasoning. I've also added parm cheese and garlic while melting the butter, but that's 3 Tum's nite! The sky's the limit with seasoning. I'm really jonesing right now since I gave up popcorn for lent.
Large Big Green Egg
Jenn Air NG 3 burner grill
Weber Genesis Silver B
Wood Fired Oven (Self Built '08)
70chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #17
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I, too, cook my popcorn on top of the stove, but I use a Whirley Pop popcorn popper. It's a great device. I use coconut oil, available at my local Wal-Mart, and buy my popcorn from an area Dutch merchant. The corn I buy is tiny, tiny and it's called Lady Finger. I keep it in the freezer and have never had any stale corn.

I love my Whirley Pop!!! I use hulless corn I bought from Whirley Pop. Smaller popcorn, but almost no hull. I think I might make some popcorn tonight.
PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #18
Fantastic Responses-Thank You

Wow! Now that is a lot of good popcorn info. With fresh popcorn and letting the steam out, I think mine will be good too. Thanks to all. Betsy.
mittshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #19
Executive Chef
I remember my mother had a special lid for one of her sauce pans. It has a little handle on the top, and it would stir the bottom of the sauce pan so you kept moving the kernels on the bottom of the pan. What a wonderful invention. I have never seen another one like that lid. My sister has it, of course.
Happy cooking, Marty.
mbasiszta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #20
Head Chef
OK, I am REALLY craving popcorn right now!

Toots is offline   Reply With Quote