Popcorn-How Do You Make It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember my mother had a special lid for one of her sauce pans. It has a little handle on the top, and it would stir the bottom of the sauce pan so you kept moving the kernels on the bottom of the pan. What a wonderful invention. I have never seen another one like that lid. My sister has it, of course. :LOL:

Guess what, mbasiszta? That's what my Whirley Pop popper does. I rarely have any unpopped kernels as a result.

Look here to see it. We bought ours at our local Ace Hardware store. Not sure where you might find it.

I use my little microwave popper, it works perfect every time. I add a little vegan margarine and some romano cheese, maybe a little spike for extra flavour, it is delicious.

Guess what, mbasiszta? That's what my Whirley Pop popper does. I rarely have any unpopped kernels as a result.

Look here to see it. We bought ours at our local Ace Hardware store. Not sure where you might find it.
Thank you, Katie! Hey, I guess it is the same idea. Mom's was just a handle in the middle of the lid, connected to the "L" shaped arm that ran over the bottom of the pot. Very simple, really.

The Whirley looks more complicated, but maybe it does the same job? I love popcorn. But my favorite is the few kernels that don't totally pop; they are crunchy and gnarly - but they are my favorite.

When I find somebody making popcorn in the stores or theaters, I beg them to pour me a bag full of the not-fully popped kernels from the little drawer at the bottom of those machines. :) Those are heaven for me. :bounce:
Marty

Thank you! Hey, I guess it is the same idea. Mom's was just a handle in the middle of the lid, connected to the "L" shaped arm that ran over the bottom of the pot. Very simple, really.

The Whirley looks more complicated, but maybe it does the same job? I love popcorn. But my favorite is the few kernels that don't totally pop; they are crunchy and gnarly - but they are my favorite.

When I find somebody making popcorn in the stores or theaters, I beg them to pour me a bag full of the not-fully popped kernels from the little drawer at the bottom of those machines. :) Those are heaven for me. :bounce:
Marty

That's EXACTLY how the Whirley works. it's just a matter of gear placement. And, yes, occasionally I have some of those super gnarly kernels.

That's EXACTLY how the Whirley works. it's just a matter of gear placement. And, yes, occasionally I have some of those super gnarly kernels.
Katie, you have got to just love those "super gnarly" kernels. There is usually left over popcorn in the kitchen in the morning, but no "super gnarlies". :LOL:
Marty

Hi, here is a general guideline for making popcorn:

You'll need a large pot. Think 'soup pot' or 'dutch oven' types of pots. 6-8 quarts ought to do.

Use about 2 tablespoons of oil - something neutrally flavoured, a la Canola, and with a reasonably high smoke point. Add the oil to the pot over medium heat. Throw a couple few kernels of corn in the pot and cover it. When those kernels of corn have popped, your oil is heated enough to start.

Add the rest of your popcorn - about 1/2 cup. Cover the pot and shake it to coat the popcorn with oil. Continue to cook, cover, and shake the pot occasionally (I shake it near constantly, but every 20-30 seconds is probably sufficient). Keep this up until the popping basically stops.

Cover with butter and salt to taste. Don't use margarine, and especially don't use 'light' margarine, the water content will melt your popcorn. Keep in mind that most of what people prefer about the taste of buttered popcorn is actually the flavour of the salt, the butter just helps it stick, so no need to go overboard with the grease, 3 tablespoons is probably plenty for this much popcorn. Popcorn is the one place where good salt is a bad idea. Use ordinary, free flowing table salt to get the best distribution of it.

If you throw a tablespoon of sugar in at the oil stage, you'll have to be much more mindful of the temperature, but the end result will be a kind of kettle corn that is also excellently scrumptious. Alternatively, just add a couple tablespoons of fine granulated sugar at the same time you add the butter and salt.

Enjoy your popcorn! :)

Back
Top Bottom