Popcorn-How Do You Make It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mittshel

Cook
I recently went back to making popcorn the old fashioned way. You know, a pan on the stove with a little oil, drop in one kernel and when it pops add the rest. It is not turning out exactly like I like. It seems a little tough and chewy. Does anyone make it without the microwave? If so how? Thanks for any comments. Betsy.

Betsy,
could be your popcorn is stale. I keep mine in the refrigerator and that helps keep it fresh.
I pop mine on the stove all the time...
kadesma

tough popcorn

Tough popcorn could also be a result of not letting the steam from the popped kernals escape from the pot. Try leaving the pot cover ajar to let the steam escape.

Tough popcorn could also be a result of not letting the steam from the popped kernals escape from the pot. Try leaving the pot cover ajar to let the steam escape.

That's my opinion also....I use a cast iron skillet..on the stove method etc.
Several times while the corn is popping I barley lift the lid and let the steam escape...or like TC said...leave it slightly ajar...Or both!

Enjoy!

ya know, i was just pondering this the other day. i don't think i want a air-popper, since i just hate wasting space in my (already full) cabinets with an infrequently-used gadget. but at the same time, the TONS of salt and faux butter-flavored ick on microwave popcorn sort of outweigh the convenience of microwave. the technique you guys are using sounds super, and bags of plain popcorn are way cheap at the store, so 3 questions: what kind of oil are you using (and would olive oil work, since that's what i generally keep on hand), how much oil do you put in the pan, and do you use a taller-sided pot like a stockpot or a large frying pan for this?

Ok...The Short version this time...
1. I Use Corn or canola Oil. Not sure if Olive oil would work due to it's low smoke point..You could certainly try it however...
2. According to Orville Redenbacher's Recipe on the bottle...1/2 Cup Corn -- 3 Tablespoons of Oil..I don't measure I just pour some in...
3. I use a regular/standard 10 inch Cast iron skillet...Any kind of lid that fits will work.

A large percentage of popcorn sales are in the Microwave lines...The little 1lb or 2lb bags are slow movers usually...It will stale sitting on the grocers shelf...The OR is in a platic jug...Less likly to stale...A better seller....and IMO a better product. HTH

I buy an Indian red popcorn i n a bottle at Cost Plus, it produces a smaller kernal but it's snow white and the taste is outstanding..I also store it in my refrigerator tightly capped to keep it fresh. I use a tall sauce pan, cover the bottom with veggie oil, usually a corn oil and put in the popcorn and let it go I hold the pan up off the fire til the popping stops. I do not remove the lid til done. I hate getting popping grease on me or the back splash of the stove.
Mine does not get tough, these kernals are crisp but a lot smaller than the traditional popcorn. Far more taste to them though.
kadesma

I, too, cook my popcorn on top of the stove, but I use a Whirley Pop popcorn popper. It's a great device. I use coconut oil, available at my local Wal-Mart, and buy my popcorn from an area Dutch merchant. The corn I buy is tiny, tiny and it's called Lady Finger. I keep it in the freezer and have never had any stale corn.

I do mine a bit different. I pour the corn in the bottom of the pan then add the oil to coat the kernels. I then add Lawry's salt to oil and corn and pop away. My pan has a pour spout on one side that vents the steam when the lid is on. I let it sit until popping starts then frequently shake the pan to stir the corn. A lot of the salt is left in the pan but the corn is flavored nicely. I agrees with Uncle Bob on Orville Reddenbacher's corn assessment.

UB ~ did your CI come with a lid or do you use a lid from another pot? I'm really curious about this thread and it takes me back to when we had the patience to actually wait more than 2.5 minutes for popcorn.

I use a 6 quart stainless steel stock pot. Use enough oil to cover the bottom, drop in one kernal. when it pops, add enough corn to cover the bottom. I use oven mitts and sorta bat the pot back and forth, this also shakes the lid around to let steam out. shut off the heat when popping slows, and pour it into a bowl before it stops completely, you'll never pop every kernal. I use Morton popcorn salt and melt real butter. Redenbackers is the only popcorn I buy, and I keep it in the fridge, it can go stale.
You can add about a half cup of sugar in the beginning to make kettle corn.
Hot air poppers or microwave popcorn are forbidden in my house.

I use an Orville Redenbacher Presto Pop in the microwave. It is a plastic bowl that uses small disposable cups in the bottom. Popcorn is nice and crunchy, and you can use bacon grease, corn oil, olive oil, etc, or you can pop it dry.

Popcorn is a major food group in my house. I like microwaved better than pan popped, because it is crunchier.

I like to use a heavy pressure cooker pot. I add oil and a couple kennels of popcorn. Cover pot with a wash cloth or folded up kitchen towel, be careful to watch the towel. After the kernels pop, I add more popcorn, cover pot with wash cloth and slide the pot back and forth on burner. Then remove from heat when popping slows down.

The towel or wash cloth really helps to keep the popcorn crisp by letting out steam. I also have been finding that Jolly Time 100% Organic Popcorn has been better for crispier popcorn. I come from a family of popcorn eaters and my family has been doing the wash cloth trick for years.

I've been popping corn since I was 8. 34 years later, I still enjoy popping and eating it. I don't find much difference whether I put in the oil or corn first, heat the oil and pop a kernel first, it all basically turns out the same. Although, I normally add the corn and the coat with oil, so I have better control. I pop with a 20 year old 2qt Magnalite sauce pot. It's the only thing this pot is used for, and if you saw it you would see why. Although I will use other brands, Redenbacker is best. I season a variety of ways. One of my favorites: Add butter, mix, then add the powdered cheese mix from Mac & Cheese with a little salt. Excellent cheese popcorn. My norm is a mixture of salt, garlic powder, parm cheese, & McCormicks Chicken Seasoning. I've also added parm cheese and garlic while melting the butter, but that's 3 Tum's nite! The sky's the limit with seasoning. I'm really jonesing right now since I gave up popcorn for lent.

I, too, cook my popcorn on top of the stove, but I use a Whirley Pop popcorn popper. It's a great device. I use coconut oil, available at my local Wal-Mart, and buy my popcorn from an area Dutch merchant. The corn I buy is tiny, tiny and it's called Lady Finger. I keep it in the freezer and have never had any stale corn.

I love my Whirley Pop!!! I use hulless corn I bought from Whirley Pop. Smaller popcorn, but almost no hull. I think I might make some popcorn tonight.:chef:

Fantastic Responses-Thank You

Wow! Now that is a lot of good popcorn info. With fresh popcorn and letting the steam out, I think mine will be good too. :) Thanks to all. Betsy.

I remember my mother had a special lid for one of her sauce pans. It has a little handle on the top, and it would stir the bottom of the sauce pan so you kept moving the kernels on the bottom of the pan. What a wonderful invention. I have never seen another one like that lid. My sister has it, of course. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom