"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-26-2009, 02:14 AM   #1
Cook

Popcorn-How Do You Make It?

I recently went back to making popcorn the old fashioned way. You know, a pan on the stove with a little oil, drop in one kernel and when it pops add the rest. It is not turning out exactly like I like. It seems a little tough and chewy. Does anyone make it without the microwave? If so how? Thanks for any comments. Betsy.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:43 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Betsy,
could be your popcorn is stale. I keep mine in the refrigerator and that helps keep it fresh.
I pop mine on the stove all the time...
kadesma

Old 03-26-2009, 06:41 AM   #3
Cook

tough popcorn

Tough popcorn could also be a result of not letting the steam from the popped kernals escape from the pot. Try leaving the pot cover ajar to let the steam escape.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical cooker View Post
Tough popcorn could also be a result of not letting the steam from the popped kernals escape from the pot. Try leaving the pot cover ajar to let the steam escape.
That's my opinion also....I use a cast iron skillet..on the stove method etc.
Several times while the corn is popping I barley lift the lid and let the steam escape...or like TC said...leave it slightly ajar...Or both!

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
ya know, i was just pondering this the other day. i don't think i want a air-popper, since i just hate wasting space in my (already full) cabinets with an infrequently-used gadget. but at the same time, the TONS of salt and faux butter-flavored ick on microwave popcorn sort of outweigh the convenience of microwave. the technique you guys are using sounds super, and bags of plain popcorn are way cheap at the store, so 3 questions: what kind of oil are you using (and would olive oil work, since that's what i generally keep on hand), how much oil do you put in the pan, and do you use a taller-sided pot like a stockpot or a large frying pan for this?
Old 03-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I just had a post disappear...My fault I think...Stand-by Miss Fireweaver!

Old 03-26-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Ok...The Short version this time...
1. I Use Corn or canola Oil. Not sure if Olive oil would work due to it's low smoke point..You could certainly try it however...
2. According to Orville Redenbacher's Recipe on the bottle...1/2 Cup Corn -- 3 Tablespoons of Oil..I don't measure I just pour some in...
3. I use a regular/standard 10 inch Cast iron skillet...Any kind of lid that fits will work.

A large percentage of popcorn sales are in the Microwave lines...The little 1lb or 2lb bags are slow movers usually...It will stale sitting on the grocers shelf...The OR is in a platic jug...Less likly to stale...A better seller....and IMO a better product. HTH

Old 03-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I buy an Indian red popcorn i n a bottle at Cost Plus, it produces a smaller kernal but it's snow white and the taste is outstanding..I also store it in my refrigerator tightly capped to keep it fresh. I use a tall sauce pan, cover the bottom with veggie oil, usually a corn oil and put in the popcorn and let it go I hold the pan up off the fire til the popping stops. I do not remove the lid til done. I hate getting popping grease on me or the back splash of the stove.
Mine does not get tough, these kernals are crisp but a lot smaller than the traditional popcorn. Far more taste to them though.
kadesma
Old 03-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I, too, cook my popcorn on top of the stove, but I use a Whirley Pop popcorn popper. It's a great device. I use coconut oil, available at my local Wal-Mart, and buy my popcorn from an area Dutch merchant. The corn I buy is tiny, tiny and it's called Lady Finger. I keep it in the freezer and have never had any stale corn.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:05 AM   #10
Master Chef

I do mine a bit different. I pour the corn in the bottom of the pan then add the oil to coat the kernels. I then add Lawry's salt to oil and corn and pop away. My pan has a pour spout on one side that vents the steam when the lid is on. I let it sit until popping starts then frequently shake the pan to stir the corn. A lot of the salt is left in the pan but the corn is flavored nicely. I agrees with Uncle Bob on Orville Reddenbacher's corn assessment.