"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-03-2005, 07:46 PM   #11
Sous Chef

The best popcorn is still made with coconut oil. Nothing tastes better when it comes to popping corn.

Old 01-03-2005, 07:50 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
"Flavacol" is the brand of oil that is used in most bars for their popcorn poppers. Usually is the best tasting popcorn.

Old 01-03-2005, 09:30 PM   #13
Master Chef

Psiguyy is right - the best tasting popcorn is cooked in coconut oil. And, that luscious butter they pump on it at the theater, that taste more buttery than the butter you use at home ... well, it not butter - it'a a butter flavored oil that is probably either soybean oil, cottonseed oil, or a blend.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:49 PM   #14
Senior Cook

All this talk about popcorn, and nowhere do I see any mention of the CORN! Popcorns come in as many flavors as apples. Why not
air-pop as many different brands and varieties of popcorn as you can get your hands on, until you find one that tastes good--or at least decent--all by itself, no butter, no salt, no nothing? Then add your butter, oil, whatever.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:21 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
All this talk about popcorn, and nowhere do I see any mention of the CORN! Popcorns come in as many flavors as apples. Why not
air-pop as many different brands and varieties of popcorn as you can get your hands on, until you find one that tastes good--or at least decent--all by itself, no butter, no salt, no nothing? Then add your butter, oil, whatever.
Really excellent suggestion. I've always bought the store brand, on the theory that popcorn is popcorn. I'll do that, leigh!

Thanks to all who offered their help and advice. I've never seen coconut oil for sale in my town ... I like the idea of combining olive oil and butter, though.

Cats
Old 01-04-2005, 03:35 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I like white popcorn, use a back to basics stove top popper, and clarified butter. Then all we add is salt.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:38 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles
My mum never let us buy popcorn at the movies, and we made our own in the microwave in an oven bag with two tablespoons of corn and one teaspoon of butter. It always worked really well, and now it's the only way I like popcorn!

so I guess if you nuke the corn, you CAN use butter? Kyles, darlin', I'm gonna have to try that!
southerncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:24 AM   #18

I like to pop my corn in the microwave using a brown paper lunch bag. I don't add any butter/salt til it's done popping. Then I shake the bag vigorously, and it's great!
Old 01-08-2005, 11:02 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Great idea, fried fish! My granddaughter has begged the loan of my air popper, so you've just brought popcorn back into this house. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2005, 01:16 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

I use an air popper for convenience, but I used to regularly use butter. The heat should not be so high as to burn the butter OR the popcorn. Olive oil is also my other favourite, but of any of those you would only use about a tablespoonful.