"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-30-2004, 05:35 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Popcorn Question

Can you help? I like to pop corn, but I'm not happy with the result. It just tastes not-great. I use general-purpose vegetable oil; I'm thinking that could be the problem.

What sort of oil do you use to pop your corn? And do you have any tips for making tasty popcorn? Do you use any special movie-popcorn products?

Many thanks.

Cats

Old 12-30-2004, 09:05 AM   #2
Sous Chef

I don't make my own, generally being content with just buying the packaged microwaveable type but I would have thought that you cook (pop) the corn in butter perhaps with some salt, or seasoned salt, if that is your preference.

I'm just guessing here, never done it before.

Old 12-30-2004, 09:13 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russell
I use olive oil
Old 12-30-2004, 10:04 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I know this isn't what you are asking, but far and away the best popcorn I've ever had at home is Pop Weaver. It is a pouch popcorn available at WalMart at a moderate price and is much better than any of the other more expensive microwaveable pouch popcorns, or any other popcorn I've had, for that matter. I gave my parents a box for Christmas and they rave about it every day.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:41 PM   #5
Master Chef

Butter generally burns at too low a temp to use for popping. I'm not much help otherwise, though. Lately I've found no matter what oil I use, my kitchen smells kind of 'off' when I've popped mine. I've never had a huge attachment to microwave popcorn for the same reason. I love popcorn generally, though, so keep trying to find the ideal. I'll let you know when I do.

Except for one of those odd childhood loves. When I was a kid, we didn't have a lot of money to toss around. Cooking oil was relatively expensive, and Mom always saved the bacon fat for various uses. To this day I LOVE, just LOVE popcorn popped in bacon fat. And when I'm through making popcorn, the kitchen smells like bacon. YUMM.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:07 AM   #6
Head Chef

Wow, thanks Claire. Am not a big popcorn fan at all, and I am not in love with the smell of the stuff. In fact, where I work they banned people from popping corn in the microwave. (I had nothing to do with it; I guess there were a lot of people objecting to the smell.)

But the idea of popping the stuff in bacon fat sounds great.

Thanks for the idea.

(Edited for grammar, I hate when I have to do that.)
Old 01-01-2005, 11:07 AM   #7
Everymom

Have you considered buying a hot air popper? They work really well and then you can just flavour with butter and salt and YUM.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:48 PM   #8
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I always used regular oil too, and I got great tasting popcorn (of course I always added a ton of melted butter as soon as it was done cooking!). Just make sure the oil is nice and hot before adding your popcorn. After the oil has heated awhile, throw one kernel in. When it pops, go ahead and add the rest.

:) Barbara
Old 01-01-2005, 12:49 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
My mum never let us buy popcorn at the movies, and we made our own in the microwave in an oven bag with two tablespoons of corn and one teaspoon of butter. It always worked really well, and now it's the only way I like popcorn!
Old 01-03-2005, 10:23 AM   #10
Head Chef

I never made good popcorn on the stove. Now I use extra butter Jolly time microwave brand. YUM!!!