Pope Yes Chicken (AKA Popeye's)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Back in the 90s I was newly divorced and visited my daughters on weeknights. We usually had dinner out and sat and chatted for a while. One of our favorite places was Popeye's Chicken. I was just learning to cook for myself and grew to love their spicy chicken and red beans and rice. Shortly thereafter, Popeye's closed and I was sad to see them go.

Fast forward to today, 20 years later. SO was off work today because of the storm and I wanted to share my Friday ritual of having the perfect Italian sub for lunch. So we hopped in the car and headed to the Deli. It was closed for the storm!

SO suggested we try the new Popeye's that just opened in town. I was all excited and we headed there at once. The place was mobbed. We ordered and sat down to enjoy our purchases. It was sooo good. Just as good as I remember from 20 years ago. The red beans and rice was outstanding and the chicken had just the right amount of spice.

I'm happy to have them right here in town. There aren't a lot of places to get fried chicken near where I live.

Funny, we had a Popeye's here for years that suddenly closed last summer. We have a ton of fried chicken places.

Last edited by a moderator:
I neglected to mention I like their biscuits better than KFC's.

That's one little tidbit of info that's worth mentioning.

Sometimes it's just nice to let someone else do your cooking and baking.

Here, this summer all the "in-town" KFC's changed over to Popeyes. ( One became a fast food sushi. I prefer made to order, not ready-made pulled from a tray tyvm.) All owned by the same franchisee? who knows. There are still KFC's in the 'burbs if a person prefers one vs the other. I haven't tried Popeye's yet. Thanks for the thumb's up.

That's great that they realized they had a good product and did not change it in those twenty years.

I prefer roasted chicken to fried and DH will only eat boneless, so we rarely go to KFC. The one in our town is small, and not very busy. I don't like eating at places that are not busy because you don't know how long the food has been sitting there.

There used to be a Popeye's but it was in a very bad part of town. I really wanted to try their chicken and red beans and rice but we never went there. Eventually it closed. Two months ago they closed a Wendy's and turned it into a Popeye's. It is right on RT 30 and it's always crowded so to me that says it's good. We will stop there someday. I want to try the red beans and rice. It's just not available in this Yankee town, and all I've ever had was Zatarains. I don't think it's the same.

I've never had Popeye's, but it sounds delicious. I think the last one we saw was in New Orleans, and there were so many other restaurants and so little time....

Popeye's is pretty good. KFC has really gone down hill over the last decade or so...we really don't ever go there. My favorite for "national" chicken chains is "Church's" They have huge pieces, and a wonderful crust. I'm a fan of legs and thighs, and they always have a special on a legs and thighs box for about $.75 a piece.

I'm cook pretty good fried chicken myself, but it's just so messy to make.

friedchicken.jpg

Oh...and to answer the thread title....the Pope would say "yes" to my chicken. :)

Last edited:
Popeye's fried chicken is less salty than KFC. They also have really good biscuits.

CarolPa, you might like to try and make your own red beans and rice. There are plenty of good recipies and it's not real complicated. I've tried Zatarain's but won't do it again. Nowhere near as good as homemade.

Popeye's fried chicken is less salty than KFC. They also have really good biscuits.

CarolPa, you might like to try and make your own red beans and rice. There are plenty of good recipies and it's not real complicated. I've tried Zatarain's but won't do it again. Nowhere near as good as homemade.

And there are several recipes for it here on DC :)

I worked at a KFC in high school and was a fan for a long time. I really like their grilled chicken, but the gravy has changed and I don't like it as well as I used to. So I tried Church's and really liked it, including the mash and gravy, which are major comfort food for me.

Btw, Carol, KFC now has boneless chicken tenders and bites.

I know we have Popeye's around here, but not in the areas I frequent. Never been there. No reason, really; I guess because KFC and Church's are more convenient. And I'm not a fan of red beans and rice.

Last edited:
Popeye's is great as I remember. Its been more than a few years since i had some.
When I worked on the RR, I would go into town and get some for dinner.
Two piece snack.
Very good. Nice and spicy, but not to spicy and very moist.

We have whats called Antie "M"s here in SC. Its most always attached to a convenience/gas type store.
It is fantastic. It is cooked in a pressure fryer. No biscuits only rolls. Best coleslaw I have ever had.
When I do go out with the guys once a week, I bring some home for dinner. My wife and I really like it.

We have a Bojangles in the same area and we prefer as we call it (gas station) chicken!

Last edited:
I prefer roasted chicken to fried and DH will only eat boneless, so we rarely go to KFC. The one in our town is small, and not very busy. I don't like eating at places that are not busy because you don't know how long the food has been sitting there.

There used to be a Popeye's but it was in a very bad part of town. I really wanted to try their chicken and red beans and rice but we never went there. Eventually it closed. Two months ago they closed a Wendy's and turned it into a Popeye's. It is right on RT 30 and it's always crowded so to me that says it's good. We will stop there someday. I want to try the red beans and rice. It's just not available in this Yankee town, and all I've ever had was Zatarains. I don't think it's the same.
"The one in our town is small, and not very busy".And usually there is/are reason(s) why a restaurant isn't busy!

I went to Popeye's not long ago and had the chicken tenders and WOW were they good, some of the best I've ever had.

I enjoy their chicken, though there are a couple of locations here I will not eat at again. This includes the one that is walking distance from the house, sadly.

I love Popeye's chicken, even if I do have to take it through Jiffy Lube on the way home to have the oil changed. Their drop biscuits are so much better than Kentucky Fried Gerbil's cut biscuits and all the sides are better than the same ol' same ol' sides at KFG.

Geez, I finally get it today that Pope Yes was a play on Popeyes and the title gets changed :LOL:
Everytime I see the words pope and chicken in the same sentence I can't stop thinking of the last part to go over the fence :angel: Thanks mom :rolleyes:

Geez, I finally get it today that Pope Yes was a play on Popeyes and the title gets changed :LOL:
Everytime I see the words pope and chicken in the same sentence I can't stop thinking of the last part to go over the fence :angel: Thanks mom :rolleyes:

Back to the original poster's title.

I knew immediately Andy was talking about Popeye's. However, for years, I could only see "Pope Yes" in their graphics on their signs. The letters just "said" that. As a matter of fact, many of my family members call it Pope Yes.

As for the eatery, it's been years since I've had any of their food. However, there's recently been some TV advertizing about a new offering for some sort of spicy chicken that both Glenn and I are quite curious about trying. The only challenge for us is to find an outlet in our area.

Back
Top Bottom