Porcini mushroom question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
Not sure where to post.

If a recipe calls for porcini mushrooms does that mean dry or the wet ones?
My store only carries the dry. I do know from another recipe I have that calls for dry ones...that you have to combine water and/or broth with the mushrooms and microwave for 2 minutes than sit for 10 minutes before putting them into the pan that your cooking other stuff with.

this recipe never says dry or wet.

If the recipe doesn't specifically say so I would assume it calls for fresh porcini. How much does it require? Dried porcini has very strong and intense flavour and a little goes a long way. If I make risotto with it, about 30-40g of it for 2 people is enough, broken into pieces and soaked in just enough water for about half an hour before cooking.

As Qsis suggested, it will help more if we can see the recipe.

I only have the dried porcini's. Any suggestions?

Sicilian Chicken
serves 4
Ingredients
For the chicken
  • 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 4 boneless, skiness chicken breasts, cut into cubes
  • 2 cups porcini mushrooms, halved
  • 10-12 hot cherry peppers, seeded and cut in half
  • 2 tablespoons capers
  • 1 cup Spanish olives
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 Tablespoon paprika
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
  • Kosher salt and pepper
For the spaghetti
  • 1 box of spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
  • 1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce
  • freshly grated parmesan or pecorino (sorry, I just can’t recommend the green can)
Directions
Liberally season chicken with kosher salt and pepper
Heat a skillet over high heat and add olive oil. When oil is very hot (starts to shimmer and smoke just a bit) add chicken. Brown chicken on both sides and remove to a bowl and sprinkle paprika over chicken. To the pan, add onions, mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Scrape up browned bits (fond) from chicken. Add capers, olives and peppers. Sautee for 3-5 minutes to heat through.
Bring heat to high and add white wine. Allow wine to reduce for 2-3 minutes. Add butter to sauce and return chicken to pan. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes to finish chicken.
While the chicken is cooking, heat your favorite pasta sauce and serve it over cooked spaghetti as a side to the chicken. Pass the grated cheese at the table to sprinkle over the spaghetti and the chicken.

Definitely calls for fresh porcini. I'd guess if you could find them in NH, they'd be VERY expensive.

As to how much in dry will sub for the fresh, I've heard 1/4 the amount dry to replace fresh (in this case, that would be a half cup of dry). But I'm not sure that's a really good number. As urmaniac said, the dry are very intense in flavor.

That sounds wonderful, legend!

Yes, fresh mushrooms. I saw one frozen porcini in a Boston store, about 10 years ago, and it was marked $5.99.

I'd use fresh baby bellas for this dish, or whatever kind of fresh you can get.

Lee

Sincerely speaking, I wouldn't use fresh porcini for this recipe, they are, as Andy said, very expensive, it is even so here in Italy so I can imagine how costly they can be abroad, IF they can be found. I would rather save them for much simpler recipes which will showcase their flavour, instead of mixing it all up with other strong flavours like peppers, caper, olives etc.
If dried porcini can be found in reasonable price, that should suffice, with this recipe I would say about 70-80g of them (or around 3oz).
Or as Qsis suggested, some other type of mushrooms with stronger flavours than regular white champignones can be used, too.

*if you use the dried version, use the liquid which was used for soaking. that adds extra flavour.

Back
Top Bottom