"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-13-2011, 02:42 AM   #1
Executive Chef
Pork Butt

Is this the shoulder of the pig or its backside, I want to make Cuban Pulled Pork and I am sure you people have some good home style tips and recipes.

Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:04 AM   #2
Head Chef
It's from the shoulder of the pig.

The quickest, easiest and best pulled pork sandwiches I've ever made were made by rubbing a 3.5-lb pork butt (also called a Boston Butt) roast with salt, pepper and garlic powder. I roughly chopped a sweet onion and placed it in the bottom of my slow cooker, placed the pork on top and poured a 20-oz bottle of root beer over the top. Cooked it for about 2 hours on high and 3 hours on low. I took the meat out, shredded it and added it back to the juice.

It made the best sandwiches ever! We added BBQ sauce to taste as we made our sandwiches (I like a little and he likes a ton).

I can't wait until it goes on sale again because now I'm seriously craving some! I think I found some a couple months ago for $.99 / lb with the bone in.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:11 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Even though pork butt is a large piece of meat, and the fact that I live alone, I keep buying it for myself. It makes a lot of delicious, tender meat that I freeze in main dish size portions, plus I get a nice meaty bone for beans.

I love to make pressed Cuban sandwiches with it.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
'round here, we cook it low and slow on what we call a pig cooker. We seldom use a rub, but we mop it with a sauce that is simply apple cider vinegar, mixed with just enough sugar to take the hard bite off the vinegar and some crushed dried cayenne peppers (add some salt if you think you need it). Mop it every hour or so, or whenever you turn the butt over.
We often cook 8-10 boston butts till they are falling off the bone, chop it into what we call barbeque, here in eastern NC. Call the family and neighbors (everyone will bring a side dish), and while we wait for the pork, we will break out the banjos and guitars and your beverage of choice....Next thing you know there is party going' on!!!
This is what is known in these parts as a pig pickin', (we call it that when we do a whole pig, but shucks, pig is pig, I reckon.)
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
The top part of the front legs is called the pork butt or Boston butt. The rear legs are called hams.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
Half Baked
I boil mine first for about an hour in water,salt,bay,whole peppercorns and 1 onion.

I then shred and remove as much fat as I can.This and the boiling gets rid of alot of it.

I then slow cook another hour with some of the water and/or other liquids for flavor.
Just be yourself! Everyone else is taken.

My Flickr stuff!
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
I'm going to agree it's the shoulder, too. You can tell by the blade bone. I think the top of the leg is a different cut and has a round bone.
But like the song goes... the leg bone's connected to the... hip bone, the...
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
Head Chef
Here is a technique from Nigella Lawson, I think, for cooking a large butt. Preheat your oven to 400. Set the butt on a rack, in a roasting pan, and put it in the oven. Immediately turn the oven down to 225. 10-18 hours later, you will have melt in your mouth pork with a nice brown crust. I do mine overnight for lunch or dinner on the following day.

I season mine before I put it in the oven with a dry rub made of 1 cup of brown sugar, a couple tablespoons of chili powder and a tablespoon of salt, but just plain salt and pepper is good, too. (Maybe a a handful of garlic cut into slivers and inserted? I will try that next time.)

If you like smoke flavor, you can use some liquid smoke, but be careful--that stuff is strong.
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
If you're cooking it in the oven, don't forget some onion slices on top
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #10
Master Chef
I like mine smoky, but don't have a smoker, so I cheat. I cook the boston butt on low in the slow cooker overnight, with an onion sliced and added. Season with salt. The next day, about noon time, I remove the meat and shred it. I then put the shredded meat into my largest cast-iron pan. I use a Webber Charcoal kettle with a solid bed of coals. I place apple or maple wood on the hot coals, put the cooking grate on, place the pan over the smoking wood, cover, and close all vents to the half-closed position. I let it go for 15 minutes, stir the meat, and cover again for ten minutes more. Remove the pan and put back in the slow cooker crock to serve. Stir to spread all of those juices through the meat. Serve with good buns, and traditionally, three barbecue sauces. The meat has a huge amount of surface area as it's shredded, and so picks up great smoke flavor in a minimum of time. It's fall off the bone tender, and so very smoky and juicy.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote