"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-25-2010, 02:57 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i'm with k-l on the brining if you grill pork chops.

along with the juice/salt/sugar combo, add a few crushed black peppercorns, allspice berries, a clove (the spikey little spice), some chopped garlic, bay leaves, and sherry.

best grilled chops you'll ever eat.

and nevermind the meat thermometer on chops. learn how to poke your meat to determine done-ness. grill on 5 minutes a side, and start poking after the first flip to see how soft they are. as soon as they firm throughout, they're done. a tiny bit of pink next to the bone will be ok.
So lets say I have some frozen pork chops. Should I completey thaw it before brining it? Or can I start thawing it in the brine?

Old 05-25-2010, 06:56 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

since you can brine chops overnight, it's ok to let them defrost in the brining liquid.

i've never done it before, but i can't see why it wouldn't work. the reaction of the salt and seasinings may just be a little slower.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
since you can brine chops overnight, it's ok to let them defrost in the brining liquid.

i've never done it before, but i can't see why it wouldn't work. the reaction of the salt and seasinings may just be a little slower.
BT whadda ya think if Rush doesn't use as much ice in the brine to compensate for the frozen chops??? And Rush remember to completly cool brine before adding chops...
Old 05-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

that sounds about right.

the ice is really used to cool off the brine more quickly and add some water. depending on how salty you make your brine, you don't necessarily need it if you have the time to let it cool off in the fridge.

the chops will defrost pretty quickly in the cooled brine.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:42 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

If you don't add ice, you should add the equivalent amount of water so the salt and sugar concentrations are correct. Either way, the water has to be cold when you put the chops in.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #16
Master Chef

Just a note of encouragement Rush......once you perfect a simple dish like this, that you like, you'll be off and running, and never settle for the fast food around the corner.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:31 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush View Post
Isn't it dangerous, though?

I don't like poking holes either, but it feels risky to gauge the doneness of meat by pushing it.
Some people think it's the most accurate way to measure the doneness of meat. Of course, it does take a little bit of practice. 4 or 5 chops and you'll be able to confidently (and accurately) determine the difference between a raw chop, a well done chop, and an overdone chop. A few more, and you'll be well on your way to determining everything in between.

Quote:
Sorta like bartenders who don't use measuring shot glasses and such. The cocktails are not always consistent.
Inconsistency comes from laziness and sloppiness. Not necessarily from not measuring.

Quote:
Likewise, when you try to feel the meat, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to tell whether the pork chops are 130 or 140 degrees. It's a gamble.
It's the texture. Not the temperature.

While temperature is a great method (and no kitchen should be without a meat thermometer), there are still some specific cases when the "correct" internal temperature will not give you well done meat.

If you learn to check with your finger, the texture will ALWAYS tell you when it's done.