Pork roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CHEFIL

Assistant Cook
im having trouble cooking pork roast 2-3 lb. in the crock pot which i have found to be the best way to cook them.most recipes i have seen call for cooking them for 8 hours or so on low.the new crock pots are too hot to do that.ive been doing them for about 3 hours on low to 150 degrees i use plenty of liquids etc.the pork roast still is not to my liking. still a little tough and dry.any suggestions to help me out?
THANKS! CHEFIL

im having trouble cooking pork roast 2-3 lb. in the crock pot which i have found to be the best way to cook them.most recipes i have seen call for cooking them for 8 hours or so on low.the new crock pots are too hot to do that.ive been doing them for about 3 hours on low to 150 degrees i use plenty of liquids etc.the pork roast still is not to my liking. still a little tough and dry.any suggestions to help me out?
THANKS! CHEFIL

i gave up trying to cook low and slow in crockpot. i use dutch oven on top of the stove, i can control the temp. easier that way. you could roast in oven . but not here today, to hot. i don't remember temps for oven but someone will and help you out.

welcome to d.c.

Last edited:
Cooking time is critical for a moist and tender pork roast. There are many variables to pork roast cooking times. Some of those variables include the type of roast, the size and thickness of the roast and the cooking temperature. There are some rules of thumb for cooking time for the different roasts but at best they are only a guess. A two to five pound pork loin roast cooked at 350 degrees f. will require roughly 20 to 30 minutes per pound. Pork tenderloin in the one to two pound category will require the same 20 to 30 minutes per pound but at 425 degrees F. instead of 350 degrees. A two to five pound Boston butt roast will require approximately 45 minutes per pound at 350 degrees F. The extra time is to allow the connective tissue to break down and the fat to melt and mingle with the roast. The only sure way to know when your roast is done is to use a meat thermometer. If you are roasting in the oven an oven thermometer is also recommended. Oven thermostats are notoriously inaccurate. Like I said cooking pork roast is not rocket science. Following these guidelines, however, will yield a pork roast so moist and tender it will surely impress your guests and will definitely make your mother-in-law turn green with envy.

Today's pork is lean and benefits a lot from brining before cooking.
IMO, the best thing the crock pot is good for is pulled pork and would never do a pork roast in one.
Easiest way to do pork roast and it could be the best way also, is to sear it on the stovetop and finish cooking it in the oven. There are tons of recipes with specifics on choice of herbs and spices to add and cooking times for the 'perfect' roast.
Grilling is another excellent way to do a pork roast, it requires some expertise.

Back
Top Bottom